Thread: Family Tow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I was behind a Nissan Armada yesterday and thought about this thread. It’s a pretty big vehicle, but I have no experience with them. My first thought would be a Tahoe!

I’ve wondered with how our economy is enamored with trucks these days, why no manufacturer really offers a full size van for the family anymore? When I was a kid my neighbor had a 34’ Scarab with those huge OMC 300s and they used a 3/4 ton Ford van to pull it. It was a nice vehicle, although I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. Minivans have a lot of space but are useless for towing, so why no decent full size vans anymore?
    A full size van with a truck chassis for 4WD would be nice for big families. They would probably price them the same as Suburbans!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

Quote Originally Posted by jab0106 View Post
    Thanks for the insights. We just left the Grand Cherokee on the wife's ride to a Caravan. What a freakin downgrade man. But, it needed doing. Any thoughts on the Armada as poor man's Sequoia? From what I'm seeing there aren't any Sequoias nearby and they are roughly 10G more. I'll look harder at Durango, there aren't many around and the ones I've found have been V6. My personal want is the Tahoe, but geez what a tag on that thing.

Either way something will be got very soon, the bow tie is near death now with tranny issues.
    Sounded like used it the route you want so keep in mind the LS engines that GM has been using for years now have history of lasting a very long time. So, super low miles doesn’t have to be a hard requirement. Your are right about the price for sure. I’d have no issue with something upward of 50k miles if the trucked seemed otherwise well taken care of. I have my son my 08 Sierra and he has over 160k miles on it and still runs great. It does burn oil which is a common issue on that vintage with its displacement on demand technology but has been very reliable. But if you have a Silverado you probably have your own experiences.

Keep in mind, if you have any mechanical ability, you can probably get a low mileage transmission from a junkyard for less than a grand. If was wrecked with low miles the drivetrain is likely in good condition. Or, just have yours rebuilt. While it won’t be “cheap” it will be a lot less than buying a vehicle. But that’s won’t help with the car seat thing.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    The 2017 through current Armada should serve you well. I’m not sure its going to have the room you’re looking for?

The Armada prior to 2017 is not the same platform as the Japanese platform out now. I personally would trust the Tahoe or Burb before the Mississippi platform Armada.

4. Member
    Chevy used to make a production model 3/4 ton, AWD, van. Anyone know if they still do?
    If you do a search on AWD passenger or conversion vans, you get quite a few results.

What about the Nissan NV?

Like many others, I've often wondered why full, or mid sized vans, are not more common. Much more practical, and usable space. Years ago, I had a chevy astro. It was the most useful vehicle I've had.

5. Member
    Hell I'd love to find a full size van with a big engine. I just haven't seen them around except for the ones that have seats hanging out the back doors. That NV seems to fit the bill nicely. I need to build a good van search right quick. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm still reading and tweaking. A purchase is imminent now. Can't really wait any longer.

I'd love for it to be a new vehicle, considering the length of time I will probably need to enlist it's services, but I just can't stomach the thought of current 'new' vehicle monthlys. Everything, really, costs a lot more than I think it is worth. A real world slap is in order. lol

Also, the Silverado will be getting a fix, just not til a vehicle buy as it can't help me with the people hauling, so it doesn't have precedence atm.

6. Member
    As for the pricing, I agree, they are all way over priced.

This past August I bought a new Nissan Frontier. I looked at the online price, with every possible discount. Called sales lady, told her , if they'll honor that price - I'll sign. After several rounds of negotiating, they got within$500.

I have three siblings, growing up, mom and dad always had a full size van. It was great. Had more than enough power for all of us, our crap, and towing a boat.

I tow a 520vx with a 2006 Sequoia. Yes they hold their value, but comfort and reliability would be hard to equal.
    I would recommend from my experience.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

8. Member
    Is there anything I am overlooking concerning towing with an EcoBoost 3.5L? The numbers are there, but I don't know any real world experience from towing. I am quickly settling on an Expedition, I've nearly exhausted my time frame.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jab0106 View Post
    Is there anything I am overlooking concerning towing with an EcoBoost 3.5L? The numbers are there, but I don't know any real world experience from towing. I am quickly settling on an Expedition, I've nearly exhausted my time frame.
    That 3.5 is mean. Real mean. Maybe even feels meaner than the specs look on paper. My only concern with them would be the reliability of the turbos themselves as well as the nagging camshaft encoder issues. I think they have gotten better in recent production years but I also don’t think you can bolt a turbo on a motor and make it more reliable. The diesel guys managed to figure it out but the gas engines still struggle with it in general. May be the different cooling methods.

3.5 eco is an awsome motor to tow a bass boat with. Torque curve is incredible.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

11. Member
    Thanks for the confidence boost guys. Got one spied, hopefully will be in it this weekend.

12. Member
    If money is an object I'd suggest the larger GM such as Yukon or Suburban with the 5.3 or larger engines. I'm talking used. After all the issues on my bought new Silverado that the dealer gave me the finger over I will never buy new from GM again. However, if properly cared for and with a little luck, the LS series motors are almost bulletproof. The Silverados also seem to be less rust prone than the full size trucks too. I wouldn't be afraid of one with over 100,000 miles if the price was right.

Get your trashmission fixed after you get one , every man needs a truck.

13. Member
    Ended up with a new loaded ecoboost Expedition at a steal price that I intend on relaying to the wife once the payment is gone as an 'upgrade' to her crap Caravan so I can get me a truck, once I won't need that many actual car seats.

Also now diving into the transmission fix, as the dealer would only have netted me 500 for it....yeah, that will be a hard NOO. I'm down to 3rd gear only now but that will get me to a shop to slap a replacement in so I can hit the dirt roads with the kids.

Content for now, tow test in the near future, but it feels very capable.

14. Member
    My brother had an expedition, don't remember what engine. They have 3 kids. Towed a 22' Tahoe ski boat, no problems.

15. Member
    I have towed with my wife's armada before. Did great. 5.6 has plenty of pep.

16. Member
    FWIW for curiousity or future reference, the Ecoboost towed smoothly, a definite improvement on low speed tow over my old Silverado. also a gas bump. I've been seeing 20-21 regular use, with the first hour of towing showing 12 stop n go improving to 13.5 straight highway. 1.5 hr Round trip average for the tow trip was 12.2, so not really any worse than my prior ride, perhaps marginally better.

17. Member
    Glad you found something you're happy with!! FWIW I pulled a 520L at 70 MPH back and forth to Southern Florida recently and saw 12 MPG with my Tundra. Like I said, about 12 MPG has been my experience pulling with most any gas half ton truck. Others seem to magically get much better, they must drive 55 MPH or something? Hope you see a long life from the big Ford!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12