Hyrofoill, Worth it?

I have a 2018 Nitro Z18 with a 150 ProXS. Was looking at putting a hydrofoil on it. Are they as good as they claim?
    Michael J. Koenig

2. Member
    It was for me. I got one from Bailey (CB Marine) and had him cut it where my fin was 3" behind the cavitation plate, Even better holeshot and the bow never comes high enough to block my view.

3. Member
    I've them on all my boats since the Doal Fin came out.
    Currently on my 2003 Nitro 882DC with a 125.
    Very little bow rise on acceleration...the bow stays down and the transom raises up

4. Member
    thanks guys!
    Michael J. Koenig

5. Member
    They do work. If you have hole shot problems,they can be a great help. Had an old Procraft 19 with a 200 EFI,terrible hole shot with the bow to the sky. As others have said,keeps the bow down with way less plowing. Hate the looks but nothing else worked.

6. Member
    I was primarily looking for a little aid in chine walk. I get out of the hole fairly well, well at least compared to my last boat ('02 Triton TR186 with 150 Opti). If it helps with fuel consumption and top end speed like they suggest, so much the better :)
    Michael J. Koenig

7. Member
    Zero help with chine walk, as it is out of the water at speed.

Chine walk is most likely a setup issue somewhere. If you run a foil, do some research. I've see those whale tale ones do some weird things. As said above, it's out of the water at speed anyway. You'd be better to post up in the Nitro Boats section as they'll be more able to help since it's not really a motor issue. Good luck!
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

9. Member
    The chine walk in minimal, and I'm pushin' her for all she's got. One of the mfg's stated their foil helped with Chine walk which is what got me thinkin'. Thanks for your input guys.
    Michael J. Koenig

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Information each time you post. Thanks!

IMHO... most of them are simply band-aids for poor setup. There are a couple exceptions, such as CB's (which is targeting keeping the boat on plane at low speeds, often desirable for night operation).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

What Don said
    In my experience with Foils and planning plates there was no improvements if the setup is correct. IE: Correct prop with the right ventilation and engine height set correctly
    They will keep the bow a little lower for better vision and will reduce the on plane speed a little
    On my cougar when running light slows the boat down getting on plane due to forcing the bow down, under those conditions I launch it at near neutral trim
    I run a CB Foil only to keep the boat on the pad at slower speed as this is useful when I want to do a lot graphing and side scan work
    Get the setup right first
    Planning plates work better for boats that can accommodate them
    There are circumstances where a foil can actually cause you to hook a boat (spin out)such as crossing a wake with any steering input and trimmed below neutral position
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    If boat is loose then it's fast, hence the chine walking. If you have a jackplate you can try raising motor up 1/4 inch and it may or may not take most of the chine walk out. But loose is fast.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc