2013 200 Pro XS trim issues.....

I have a 2013 Pro XS that has a interment trim issue. It will occasionally stop trimming up either on the water or in the parking lot. There doesn't seem to be any one particular place in the range of motion that it occurs. It is very infrequent that this happens. It will trim down always and if the problem occurs I can trim down and frequently it will then function normally and trim up as it should. It's not one of the switches since none of the switches function when the problem occurs. I've read up on the forum here and it makes me thing that the trim relays may be causing the issue. Anyone have any insight or suggestions on diagnosing the issue? The boat is in storage quite a ways from home at Truman so I will need to make a road trip to get her fixed. Great motor by the way with absolutely no other issues to date. Motor serial number if it makes any difference is......
    1B977491. Thanks

Try switching the relays and see if it starts having issues in the down cycle.
    IMO if one is bad replace them both.

3. Member
    possibly a relay but I would lean more to electric mtr failing (brushes) you could test voltage to mtr when prob occurs to determine, no volts on up wire = relay ,volts to mtr = bad mtr if you replace relays replace both
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Relays are likely the culprit. Hard to believe on a 2013 motor that the electric motor would fail already, but anything is possible I guess. Often, power connections to the battery are not tight. It doesn't hurt to replace the relays. Very inexpensive and relatively easy to change out. Change both of them out for good measure. I kept the good one in the boat just in case it goes again.

Do you hear a clicking sound from a realy during an event where the trim doesn't work? If you hear a clicking sound from the engine compartment and the motor doesn't trim, it is likely not your relays. The clicking sound is the relay working. check your connections starting with your engine bay. ALWAYS unbutton the battery before you do this or you will short something out and this can be a bad day if that happens. I got lazy once and did not unbutton the battery and I paid a big price for it! Check to see if there is corrosion in the connections to the two relays ( I would still change them out on a 6 year old motor for good measure )

Here is a good link with more info...

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=772110

5. Member
    Thought provoking info so far. I don't hear any clicking when it fails to operate. There is absolutely nothing. It will trim down as normal. I may try the up trim function 5 or 6 times and it will go part way up and then stop. Then it will decide to function normally both up and down. Thanks for the link, I will check it out and learn more. Thanks

6. Member
    Change the relays.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    #6 (or such) for Replace BOTH Trim Relays. Part# 882751A1.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don, and welcome back. I'll give a call and order them pronto.