Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

7’6” ML Spinning Rod

I’m in the market for a new rod. I don’t own any long spinning rods and I’m hoping it makes me more comfortable throwing some new techniques (Ned, hair jig, spinbait). I own quite a few St Croix LTB rods but they don’t offer any longer spinning rods. And I can’t talk myself into spending $410 on a Legend Extreme. I’m planning on braid to fluoro leader so Tatula AGS is out. I do like a split grip.

Im between the St Croix Mojo MJSMLXF or the Daiwa Cronos CN761MMLFS. Anyone have any real life experience with either of these two? I’m not sure if I’ll be happy with the mojo after being used to the LTB.

2. Member
    This is what I've got for those, with mainly light flourocarbon.
    https://stcroixrods.com/collections/saltwater/products/mojo-inshore-casting

3. Member
    For spinners i mostly use st croix elites, but i'll say that i have 4 7'6 ML avids and i LOVE them. Get it and don't look back, i use mine for exactly what you're looking to use it for. I've used the cronos, and while i love the cronos series of rods, i was not a fan of the 7'6 spinner.

4. Member
    I don’t have one “yet” but I’ve been eyeing the Dobyn’s Champion Extreme in the 762 or 3 for exactly what you’re talking, I use a older Fenwick IM6 and St. Croix Avid X now but both are 7’ and under.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    For spinners i mostly use st croix elites, but i'll say that i have 4 7'6 ML avids and i LOVE them. Get it and don't look back, i use mine for exactly what you're looking to use it for. I've used the cronos, and while i love the cronos series of rods, i was not a fan of the 7'6 spinner.
    Tackle warehouse doesn’t carry that model for some reason. Didn’t know it was an option! Thanks for bringing that up that should be closer to the LTBs I’m used to

6. Member
    I have an Avid 8'ML Mod rod my favorite spinning rod like it over my 7'6" M/F Elite.
    Ned rigs, hair jigs, 2.8" paddletails, 3/8 spnnerbait, senkos great rod.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    I have an Avid 8'ML Mod rod my favorite spinning rod like it over my 7'6" M/F Elite.
    Ned rigs, hair jigs, 2.8" paddletails, 3/8 spnnerbait, senkos great rod.
    Have you used the 7'6 ML avid? I've never gotten my hands on the 8' ML and would love to hear a comparison of the two!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Have you used the 7'6 ML avid? I've never gotten my hands on the 8' ML and would love to hear a comparison of the two!
    Sorry no, cant comment on the 7'6" Avid haven't used it.

9. Member
    The Fenwick AETOS 7-6 ML would accomplish your mission as well. Lifetime warranty and can be found for under 200. If that's not in your plan, I'd pick the Cronos. Nothing against the Croix, it's a fine product, but in my opinion the Cronos is better than the Mojo.

10. Member
    I went to my local field and stream yesterday to see what they had that I could put my hands on. They used to have a good selection of premium rods. Not the case any more, disappointed. Going to try BPS this week. Leaning towards the avid. But willing to try the cronos or aetos if I can get my hands on one.

11. Member
    Just found that the legend tournament walleye series has a 7’6” ML. So now I have that to consider too ...

12. Banned
    Have a look at fenwick aetos they make a 7'6" ML EXFST spinning rod for a decent price. It has a fantastic action, not too soft but soft enough with a sold back bone. And they have a lifetime warranty and it works.

13. Banned
    G. Loomis walleye glx or imx the glx 9000 is a awesome rod claiming it as a o power rod but to me it’s a medium light best hairjig rod in production now since they discontinued the Nrx 901 also the 901 is still made in the imx walleye

14. Member
    Cronos, Tatula, Tatula Elite.
    Last edited by Big-Bass1; 02-26-2019 at 07:11 PM.

15. Member
    Why not check out the new cork grip Tatula. I think it’s designed for hair jigs and spy baits

16. Member
    St Croix now offers an 8'6" ML in LTB billed as a hair jig rod. I picked on up at the end of last year so I haven't had a chance to use it much. As others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with the avid rods either.

17. Member
    I appreciate all of the recommendations. I really wish I could get my hands on one of these rods. But none of the local shops (Field and Stream, BPS) are carrying any good sticks these days. For example the 8'6" LTB or the Aetos that others have mentioned. I just cant stand dropping that kind of money on a rod that I cant check out. For example I tried one of the lower end Fenwicks at the store and didnt like the cork. I may swing in to Cabelas when we are out that way and see if they happen to have anything I can put my hands on

I have the 7'6" Cronos ML XF and although I love it for dropshotting with that stinger-like tip, it is not a great long distance caster. I'm not sure how the ML fast version's action compares.
    Something with a more moderate-fast action has always been better at long distance casting in my experience.
    I'll be real curious what you come up with.

19. Member
    I have two of these. They are a thing of beauty and a bargain, and come very well packaged. They are only $79.99, kind of like $80.00. I catch bass with them all year long but especially in Winter.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cadence-Fishi...Bspinning&th=1

7 foot 6 inch Medium Light one piece
    Last edited by billnorman1; 02-22-2019 at 08:26 PM.

20. Member
    Just to chime in on this again after returning from the sport show. Handled the 8'6 ltb rod and was not a fan. It's a LOT of rod, definitely a tish tip heavy, and just didn't feel like it had the "perfect" action. I think diminishing returns in length are going to settle in just under 8ft, IMO. Was very impressed with the tatula elite 7'6 hair jig rod. Now I don't know this for a fact as I don't own an ags tatula, but I'm pretty sure they're ok with a leader? I will say after handling the 7'6 and 8'6 ltb, 7'6 avid (all in ml x-fast) and 7'6 tat elite, I'd go avid or tat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast