Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    Just to chime in on this again after returning from the sport show. Handled the 8'6 ltb rod and was not a fan. It's a LOT of rod, definitely a tish tip heavy, and just didn't feel like it had the "perfect" action. I think diminishing returns in length are going to settle in just under 8ft, IMO. Was very impressed with the tatula elite 7'6 hair jig rod. Now I don't know this for a fact as I don't own an ags tatula, but I'm pretty sure they're ok with a leader? I will say after handling the 7'6 and 8'6 ltb, 7'6 avid (all in ml x-fast) and 7'6 tat elite, I'd go avid or tat.
    I appreciate your feedback from the show. I don't have a great answer on the Tatula Elite AGS guides. I heard somewhere that it comes with a tag mentioning that the guides are not designed for knots to pass through. But then again I have seen/read articles from Seth Feider and Brent Ehler about using braid-fluoro with these rods. Anyone have a better answer on this?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKremers View Post
    I appreciate your feedback from the show. I don't have a great answer on the Tatula Elite AGS guides. I heard somewhere that it comes with a tag mentioning that the guides are not designed for knots to pass through. But then again I have seen/read articles from Seth Feider and Brent Ehler about using braid-fluoro with these rods. Anyone have a better answer on this?
    Youre fine with a leader.

3. Member
    To chime in for a final time, i went back to the show saturday and was so impressed with the tatula ags that i bought one, for whatever that's worth

4. Member
    I’m definitely considering the Tatula elite. May wait to see if there is a sale.

5. Member
    I have two Cronos 7'6" rods listed in the classifieds that might fit your bill. 76M/ML XF and 76M/ML F. They are new with tags.

6. Member
    Looks like ALX has a new Zolo spinner coming out called the McSmalls in a 7’6” light which is like a medium light in other brands.

Been fishing St Croix Avid Inshores in 7-6 MLXF for my lighter spinning rod needs and haven't found anything I like better. Mine are the older brown blanks that I bought just about the time they phased them out for the new color scheme but I doubt the blank itself has changes any if at all.

8. Member
    I know I'm going to be the odd man out about this, I usually am... Longer rods ( +7') have become the current rage for light bait presentations, they toss a great distance and pick up a lot of line on the hook set, but in-between the cast and hook set I don't believe they transmit information or control the bait as well as a 6'1/2" - 7' rod. The 7'1/2" spinning rod I bought several years ago doesn't even make the boat ride anymore. Obviously your mileage varies.

oe

9. Member
    I have been using an Aetos 7'6" ML for a while and I found it to be too fast for these techniques. I have ALX making a rod for me that's 7'6" ML Mod Fast. An inshore popping blank should give you the action necessary. I was between this custom option and the Daiwa Steez AGS 7'6".

Megabass has a new rod coming out that is 7'6" called the Flyssa.

F2.5-76XS Flyssa-taper:fast, lure rating: 1/16oz-3/8oz. Line rating 4-10lb- rod is ideal for sweeping hookets with light line, great for hair jigs, finesse swimbaits, deep water dropshotting. Great choice for Okashira Screwhead etc.

I'm thinking about getting it when it comes out...

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HobeyBaker View Post
    Youre fine with a leader.
    how do you know? I've been hemming & hawing for 3 weeks trying to figure out which rod best for 1/16, 3/32 & 1/8 hair jigs? I believe the Daiwa/Feider hair jig rod rates weight starting at 3/16th... I don't get that at all??? I'm scared of the LTB 8'6 even though I'm pretty comfortable with 7'5 & 7'6 - have a couple that length. Although a bunch more$$ I was looking at the 7'6 ML Legend Elite. The 8'6 legend bass series is a $300 rod, so ur getting the length but must be missing a bunch of them expensive upgrades in the Elite, esp. those Torzide guides. The 8'6 bass rod has been discontinued but the walleye version is all but identical.

12. Banned
    I'm thinking about trying a Daiwa Tatula 7'6" ML-M/F spinning rod.
    7'6" medium light-medium power/ fast action
    model TTU761MLMFS

13. Member
    Man those Fenwich Aetos rods are nice, I have two of them and they are solid. Just hard to find them is all. I wish I could get more

Old thread from April 2019 that was brought back by a new member, just FYI.

Welcome to BBC, Dragonstop! Lots of discussion about AGS guides and leader knots on this board more recently than in this thread. Here's one discussing that very topic from a couple weeks back: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1074134
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member
    I love me the longer 7'6" to 8'0" rods...a other option in this realm of length/power ratings worth the research, wait time due to limited and seasonal production, is Yamaga Blanks Blue Current III and TZ series of spinning rods.

Absolutely exceptional blanks, components, QC, and fishability.

Quote Originally Posted by MattKremers View Post
    I’m in the market for a new rod. I don’t own any long spinning rods and I’m hoping it makes me more comfortable throwing some new techniques (Ned, hair jig, spinbait). I own quite a few St Croix LTB rods but they don’t offer any longer spinning rods. And I can’t talk myself into spending $410 on a Legend Extreme. I’m planning on braid to fluoro leader so Tatula AGS is out. I do like a split grip.

Im between the St Croix Mojo MJSMLXF or the Daiwa Cronos CN761MMLFS. Anyone have any real life experience with either of these two? I’m not sure if I’ll be happy with the mojo after being used to the LTB.
    I fished a 76 Tat Elite Seth Feider spin stick a lot last fall on the big water for Smallies/walleyes running 12# Nanofil to a 12# Abrazx leader (Zeeb Mussels) absolutely NO issues...Great rod...caught em up to 6 lbs...I also fished the Mojo...it is OK but a whole lot less feel than the Tat...
    Northwoods Adventures Guide Service... Michigan's Upper Peninsula

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    I fished a 76 Tat Elite Seth Feider spin stick a lot last fall on the big water for Smallies/walleyes running 12# Nanofil to a 12# Abrazx leader (Zeeb Mussels) absolutely NO issues...Great rod...caught em up to 6 lbs...I also fished the Mojo...it is OK but a whole lot less feel than the Tat...
    Koolio, thanks for sharing Tom.

18. Member
    Agree with dragon1...thanks for sharing...I wonder how the Tatula AGS would be for neds in the 1000 Islands, NY along with hairs, and even some Okashira spin shads with Hazedong 3".

19. Member
    Do not leave out.....Dobyns Sierra "panfish/walleye" rods. They have a 7'9" L or ML that Paul Mueller has a video on. ALSO, I was told that the Dobyns Champ 792 is actually an EXTREME blank...
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    Do not leave out.....Dobyns Sierra "panfish/walleye" rods. They have a 7'9" L or ML that Paul Mueller has a video on. ALSO, I was told that the Dobyns Champ 792 is actually an EXTREME blank...
    I have one, the 741sf, and its going to be a crappie rod. Too light for any type of bass fishing, maybe light hair jigs at most. VERY nice, but it is what it is stated as.... a panfish rod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast