Which line for NRX 852c?

Hi all,

just made the purchase of my first NRX. A 852c. I am super excited. I will be pairing the rod with a Abu Garcia MGEXTREME 2.

I am wondering what line you would be recommending to use?

The techniques that I will be using are:

1. Ned Rig
    2. Worms and 1/8 - 1-4 oz Jigs
    3. Jerkbaits

I was thinking of 7 or 8 pound Sunline Shooter, since I want the best sensitivity from the line. Wondering if I should run straight fluro, or should I do a braid to fluro set up? What braid would you recommend here? I have seen some negative reports on the recoil guides getting damaged on the NRX, so I am a bit worried.

Sensitivity and reduced visibility are my priorities.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    My preference is 20# Sufix 832 to Fluoro in 8 or 10 pound. Just my opinion as I am sure you will get many responses. Good luck

Since you ignored pretty much everyone's advise in your which NRX thread you may not get many responses here lol

If you are going to try and throw 110's this rod (far from ideal - should have got the MBR) - I'd suggest sticking with 10lb fluoro of your choice. I think the rod's rating is actually 10-14. Based on the other baits listed, you could try 8lb, but would stay away from any type of structure, cover, etc... You aren't going to be able to protect light line very well with the JWR action.

I actually have 12lb Sniper on my 852c at the moment, but it's just because that's what I had on the reel at the time - I'll change to 8 or maybe 10lb Tatsu on the next refill. But I won't be throwing jerkbaits on it though :).

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Since you ignored pretty much everyone's advise in your which NRX thread you may not get many responses here lol

If you are going to try and throw 110's this rod (far from ideal - should have got the MBR) - I'd suggest sticking with 10lb fluoro of your choice. I think the rod's rating is actually 10-14. Based on the other baits listed, you could try 8lb, but would stay away from any type of structure, cover, etc... You aren't going to be able to protect light line very well with the JWR action.

I actually have 12lb Sniper on my 852c at the moment, but it's just because that's what I had on the reel at the time - I'll change to 8 or maybe 10lb Tatsu on the next refill. But I won't be throwing jerkbaits on it though :).
    Well, I appreciated the recommendations, but in the end I make the decision that is best for me. The 893 is too long and too close to my ZBONE. The 853 had too much backbone. The 852 felt just right.

Will probably start with 10 and see how the action is and how the fish respond.

Thanks!

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Congrats on your first NRX. The 852c is a wonderful rod. I use 10# Sunline FC Sniper on my 852c.

You'll be able to throw jerkbaits just fine. In fact one of the top smallie guys up here uses one to throw deep jerkbaits (https://www.wired2fish.com/fall-fish...ing-jerkbaits/). Just be prepared to actually use the reel's drag to help with surging fish.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    I have an Aldeberan MGL on mine (actually my wife's) with 10# Tatsu.

Edit: her's is an 853. The only other NRX we have is my 872 spinning rod. I got confused on power rating.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 02-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.