Question Need help figuring out what is wrong with my 2005 250 EFI?

SN# 1B069274
    Little over 3 months ago it died on me, so I took it in to Power Source Marine for exam and full service. They called me and asked me to come in and take a look at the way steel chips had scared up all the Stainless Steel stuff in my lower unit and seals were leaking. And they gave me options. I went with the cheapest. A lower unit total rebuild. And they said the motor died because the fuel pump was toast. Ask me if the boat had sit up a long time. Told them yes, and the story about a U-Haul hitting me and the Fiberglass shop sticking it to me. And it was there 2 or 3 days shy of a year and half total. So they fix the lower unit, install a new fuel pump, do a full service. Motor is still losing it's fuel prime. I pump the bulb as hard as I can, and don't see fuel leaking anywhere. But it keeps losing it's prime and dying. I can prime the new primer bulb I put on up as hard as I can again, and it will fire back up. Then lose prime and stall a little bit later. Now this is in idle pits. But I have sit in neutral and gave it gas sitting there, and it will die out as well. Clamps on the fuel line look good. Any help would be appreciated? Thanks for taking a look. New primer bulb. New fuel pump. What could it be? Thanks!
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 02-11-2019 at 04:40 PM.

2. Member
    Take your gas cap off and try... See if it lose prime

3. Member

Seen more than a few pulse pumps get installed wrong, or missing parts.

Definitely check your tank vent. Seen a few wasp nests and other debris stop this up.

I would replace fuel line from tank to pulse pump, including primer bulb.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Even though I run only good gas, I will replace fuel line. I have replaced primer bulb recently after getting it out of shop and still stalling. I have checked vent line. Thanks again for your helpful advice.

6. Member
    I would have to say pulse pump but I’m no expert. You can buy the rebuild kit for around $20-$30 and do it your self. It’s not complicated at all.
    '96 Blazer 202 PRO-V '96 Mercury 225 EFI (S/N 0G424027)

7. Member
    Got fuel hose at BPS in Brandon today. Weather prediction has been predicting rain since yesterday evening. Hasn't happened yet. But about the time I get started it would start, just my luck. But when I get a chance after weather clears up, I will get on it. Thanks for the help.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanbatonrouge View Post
    I would have to say pulse pump but I’m no expert. You can buy the rebuild kit for around $20-$30 and do it your self. It’s not complicated at all.
    That looked good and new.
    I didn't see anything wrong with the hose, even cutting it in spots, other than outside having like some weather rot cracks. But I replaced it. If not raining tomorrow I will fire it up on the water hose.

9. Member
    If the pulse pump is good, and the fuel lines are not collapsed, make sure the lines are all tight. I have seen lift pumps not able to "lift" because of a small air leak due to a loose hose clamp. Maybe just cut an inch off at each connection to confirm the seal is tight. Also, make sure the pickup tube inside the tank is securely mounted to the tank fitting.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by long shot View Post
    If the pulse pump is good, and the fuel lines are not collapsed, make sure the lines are all tight. I have seen lift pumps not able to "lift" because of a small air leak due to a loose hose clamp. Maybe just cut an inch off at each connection to confirm the seal is tight. Also, make sure the pickup tube inside the tank is securely mounted to the tank fitting.
    It was getting real dark as I was finishing up, but I believe I got it all clamped good.
    Then I kept squeezing on the primer bulb till it was solid.

11. Member
    Do Not use any worm gear hose clamps. The proper clamp is a "radius head" zip tie.

12. Member
    It appears it was my hose even though I don't run gas with ethanol in it.
    But my primer bulb use to leak down sitting. I went out a bit ago and it was still good from last night. Hooked water hose up, and fires right up.
    I will see for sure next trip. Thanks everyone for the advice.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Follow and complete EVERY item in the above link. Don't skip ANY item, or substitute anything.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You have done partial repairs a different times in the wrong order, start from scratch. You may have damaged or have line material in the pulse as a result
    After setting for two years I would drain the tanks
    remove the sending unit assemblies to be sure the tanks are completely dry
    inspect the pickup tubes and screens
    blow out the new lines or pump fuel through them to be sure they are clear
    Be sure every inch of line in question is replaced with the correct fuel line
    replace the bulb
    Tear down the pulse pump for inspection
    Pull the top off the VST for inspection and signs of phase separation corrosion
    Replace the fuel filter
    Check for a good crankcase pulse to the pulse pump
    Doing one thing at a time and working backwards will keep you running in circles
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    ^^^True^^^

16. Member
    I installed the proper zip ties Saturday. Went fishing Sunday, and it actually ran proper the whole day.
    Thanks again everyone.