Sorry, another Ultrex question.

I just installed a new Ultrex and something doesn't look right. With the motor stowed if you look from the back of the prop forward the skeg for the motor is not inline with the shaft that comes down to the motor from the steering module. It is off buy at least 1 inch. It looks like the 2 screws behind the prop need to be loosened and the skeg piece rotated so it is in line with the main shaft. Is this what I need to do or is this misalignment normal? Thank you.

2. Member
    Misaligned skeg is NOT normal. It's a good thing you noticed this before putting it in the water or you would have had water in the motor housing. Several people on this board have had this problem. Just loosen the two bolts and align the skeg and re-tighten the bolts. You'll probably find that the bolts are loose. Mine were loose right out of the box.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    As said above, not normal. Loosen the bolts a little, place the skeg inline with the shaft and retighten the bolts.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipercub View Post
    Misaligned skeg is NOT normal. It's a good thing you noticed this before putting it in the water or you would have had water in the motor housing. Several people on this board have had this problem. Just loosen the two bolts and align the skeg and re-tighten the bolts. You'll probably find that the bolts are loose. Mine were loose right out of the box.
    Thats BS... crazy money for these motors and he has to fix it before he can even use it? ! That's unacceptable... sorry but...

Never seen so many issues as Ultrex, I agree with .jtracc

6. Member
    Thanks for all the help, stuff happens no big thing.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Thats BS... crazy money for these motors and he has to fix it before he can even use it? ! That's unacceptable... sorry but...
    While I can agree with that statement, part of installation is making sure ALL the bolts are tight and the motor is ready to hit the water. If one chooses to self install, then that is their responsibility also. In shipping, these motor get dropped and shuffled. I see this more on 112's due to the weight of the lower unit where UPS/FedEX can't hold the box. The impact will make the skeg crooked, and that loosens the through bolts by "twisting" them inside the motor. When the skeg is put back in place, the bolts are loose and have to be tightened. These bolts are correct when they leave the factory as the motors/shafts are assembled and the bolts torqued before the trolling motor is assembled.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

8. Member
    Totally agree with John. It was said that: "Never seen so many issues as Ultrex". This is only about 1% of the motors sold. You only read about the problems here. Some good reviews here. If you install your own you can expect some issues.
    Well Said John.

9. Member
    Agree with Bradrodfish, you only hear about the problems, not the thousands of people who don't have any issues. The only problems I've had were the bolts being loose which I caught when I installed it and I also had to replace the on/off switch because it would turn on when the switch was in the off position. Having said that, the Ultrex is the best purchase I've ever made for a boat and I would buy another one without a second thought!

However, I don't agree with "If you install your own you can expect some issues". I think in many cases, the opposite is true! I'm speaking from experience.
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

10. Member
    I think for what we pay for the Ultrex there have way too many problems. They use the consumer for R and D!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Totally agree with John. It was said that: "Never seen so many issues as Ultrex". This is only about 1% of the motors sold. You only read about the problems here. Some good reviews here. If you install your own you can expect some issues.
    Well Said John.
    while crap does happen, I have to disagree that 1% of these motors have issues. The issues are so bad that minn kota had to extend their warranty by one year. It sounds like a fantastic motor, however, what are these issues going to cost when the 3 year warranty is over. Yes, you only hear about the issues but have a read on this page it's 90% ultrex issues. Something has to be said about simplicity, I been used a fortrex for years and it has never left me without a trolling motor. It's not perfect, but some simple maintenance during the off season and she back to new. I just don't think it's right that there should be problems right out of the box. it would be unacceptable with any other product.
    No offence to mr. Jones I understand he running a business, but even he has to agree that there's more issues then anticipated. I don't remember the maxxum or the fortrex having as many issues or even the terrova.

12. Member
    It looks like the Ultrex expert doesn't even own an Ultrex....
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

13. Banned
    It looks like the Ultrex expert doesn't even own an Ultrex....
    No I don't. No expert, just going by what I'm seeing/reading by others. Not sure what your point is tho...? I think we are all entitled to our opinion. Opinions on this forum and others are what many of us use as information for purchases like a trolling motor for example. im just commenting on the fact a band new trolling motor out of the box has issues... I don't need to own an ultrex or be some trolling motor expert to come to the conclusion that this is an issue....

14. Member
    I own an Ultrex so I know of what I speak!

15. Member
    No offence to mr. Jones I understand he running a business, but even he has to agree that there's more issues then anticipated. I don't remember the maxxum or the fortrex having as many issues or even the terrova.
    No offense taken. It's a fairly new trolling motor and we don't know what "issues were anticipated". Obviously MinnKota's goal would be to have no issues with the trollingmotors, Talons, battery chargers are any other product they sell -- but that's not going to happen and that is why there is over 600 service centers nationwide. We seem to forget the 80# Maxxums open armature problem, the control boards going bad due to a wiring issue breaking that goes to the speed control knob, the unbreakable shafts breaking. We don't remember the Fortrex mounts issues with the pivot screws breaking, the screws coming out of the side panels, the motor rest catching on the uni-arm -- all of which has been addressed and taken care of. We don't remember the complaints of "creaking" coming from the bowguard of the Fortrex when it turns. We don't remember the Terrova's coming loose and deploying while running down the lake, or the spot lock not holding where it's suppose to. Again items that have been addressed and fixed. Same as the Ultrex. There has been problems, no one is denying that, however not all the problems are MinnKota's, and MinnKota has addressed and corrected the sensor board in the footpedal, the steering cables breaking, the shaft breaking. The cable sleeve that some are complaining about breaking prematurely is the same sleeve that is used on the Edge, Maxxum, and Fortrex.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Great info Mr. Jones. I think that kind of puts things into perspective.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    No offense taken. It's a fairly new trolling motor and we don't know what "issues were anticipated". Obviously MinnKota's goal would be to have no issues with the trollingmotors, Talons, battery chargers are any other product they sell -- but that's not going to happen and that is why there is over 600 service centers nationwide. We seem to forget the 80# Maxxums open armature problem, the control boards going bad due to a wiring issue breaking that goes to the speed control knob, the unbreakable shafts breaking. We don't remember the Fortrex mounts issues with the pivot screws breaking, the screws coming out of the side panels, the motor rest catching on the uni-arm -- all of which has been addressed and taken care of. We don't remember the complaints of "creaking" coming from the bowguard of the Fortrex when it turns. We don't remember the Terrova's coming loose and deploying while running down the lake, or the spot lock not holding where it's suppose to. Again items that have been addressed and fixed. Same as the Ultrex. There has been problems, no one is denying that, however not all the problems are MinnKota's, and MinnKota has addressed and corrected the sensor board in the footpedal, the steering cables breaking, the shaft breaking. The cable sleeve that some are complaining about breaking prematurely is the same sleeve that is used on the Edge, Maxxum, and Fortrex.
    John
    Thank you sir... I'd love go and pick one up, I just don't think minn kota has worked out all the bugs yet. Some good points there tho thanks for the input.

18. Member
    Thank you sir... I'd love go and pick one up, I just don't think minn kota has worked out all the bugs yet. Some good points there tho thanks for the input.
    If you were to try one, I think you would be hooked. I can't imagine not having one now!
    2018 Ranger RT178
    Yamaha 75hp
    Atlas Micro Jacker
    80lb Minn Kota Ultrex

19. Member
    Mine was the same way. Easy fix.

However, I don't agree with "If you install your own you can expect some issues". I think in many cases, the opposite is true! I'm speaking from experience.

Before anyone gets offended let me qualify. I have been in enough boat dealerships to know that 90% of the time the LOWEST man in the shop is the one doing the rigging, right after he sweeps the floors and cleans the bathrooms. Not knocking anyone because we all have to start somewhere.. A business like Jones trolling motor who's only business is trolling motors is not included.
    With that said I don't figure anyone except the sole person who installed this bolt could have caught this problem that wound up costing me $$$$.
    bad bolt.jpg