Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerkbait/popper reel

I am going to be purchasing a shorter (6'8"), lighter (ML to M power) rod than I am accustomed to using. This rod is going to be used for throwing jerkbaits (soft and hard), poppers, weightless Senkos, and some lighter walking baits. Right now I'm leaning towards the Zolo Twitch rod from ALX rods. What size/weight reel should I be looking at for these techniques and this rod? I've considered a Shimano Chronarch (6.7 oz), a Curado 70 (6.5 oz), a Daiwa Tatula SV TWS (7.2 oz), and a Shimano Aldebaran 50 (4.8 oz). Of these reels, the Aldebaran would be my least likely choice simply due to price. I don't throw jerkbaits, poppers, or walking baits much, but I'd like to start using them more. Do I want to go with the lightest reel possible? Should I be looking for the smallest reel so that it palms the easiest? Any tips, ideas, or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Banned
    weight is not as important as speed when using it for what you plan on using it for. Go high speed, at least a 7.1:1

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    You're going to drop a good chunk of coin on a nice light rod that, according to many, is well balanced. Don't pollute the rod with heavy a clunker reel. Of the reels you listed and at a price you don't mind paying, I'd go Chronarch or a Zillion SV TW. Higher end reels are much nicer to fish with.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Chronarch.

Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Chronarch.
    I'd take the Zillion SV TW over the Chronarch anytime and I've fished both quite a bit. The Chronarch is a nice reel no doubt, but I prefer the Zillion between the two. On the less expensive side, the Tatula 100 is worthy of consideration as well. The Tatula SV is a great reel at it's price point...

6. Member
    I would use a standard 100 size reel. I have Revo STX reels and they work great for me. Personally I use a 6.6:1 ratio, helps me fish a jerkbait slower and not pull the bait along with the reel.

7. Member
    Zillion SV if you can swing it, Tatula SV if not.

8. Member
    I’m going to go with the dark horse here and say the curado 70. That thing is the nicest palming reel I’ve ever picked up and performs just as good if not better than my chronarch mgl.

9. Member
    If you don’t mind used I would look at the older Shimano 50 series platform. Lots of options there.
    Curado 50e
    Chronarch 50e
    Core 50mg7
    JDM Scorpion 1000xt
    JDM Alde 50

The used market for the JDM Alde 50 is very much in a buyers favor. They are going for under $150 for a used one give or take on the condition. This is basically the JDM version of the US Core so it is super light. You also have BFS spool upgrade options so you could buy a reel and finesse oriented spool to try with it or swap out depending upon your application. It palms very well and is around 5.5 ounces so you can fish your working baits like poppers and Jerkbaits well without much fatigue.

10. Member
    Again, I appreciate the feedback. I already have a Tatula SV TWS reel, so maybe I'll try putting that on the rod when I get it and see how it feels. I do really like that reel. I'm not averse to looking at the used reels as well, and have contemplated getting a used Aldebaran, as I've seen a few on the swap/sell boards here. Thanks!

The tatula SV will work just fine. I personally like the 6.3 ratio...believe it or not I tried a faster 7.3 ratio and it messed up my normal cadence pretty bad.

12. Member
    for poppers and jerkbait I really like my smaller reels which is the Curado 71/70. I prefer it over my Zillion SV TW and Tatula SV.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    To me the balance and how the rod/reel fit in my hand is what is most important. The Tatula Type R in 6.3 would be one I’d consider or if you want lightweight and small the BPS Platinum reel in 7.1:1 is a great reel. If you could get your hands on one I’d also try a 13 Fishing Concept A, very light reel!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    Lew’s Tournament Pro. Any model in the series 7 ratio.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

15. Member
    Thanks for the help. I have owned Lew's, BPS, and Quantum reels but I always wind up back at Shimano and Daiwa. I'm going to see if the local stores have a Curado 70 to hold, otherwise I'm still leaning towards the Chronarch or Tatula SV TWS.

16. Member
    Aldebaran
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

17. Banned
    Core or aldabaren mgl

18. Banned
    I have a 6'8 rod as well that I use for smaller baits like that too. My Tatula SV is too big and bulky for this, just doesnt fit right. I personally use a 09Aldebaran with a Avail50RR spool. Now, if its a new reel you are looking to get, id opt for the Curado 70. The Tatula SV and Zillion SV are just about the same reel, so no for both from me. You want something with a small profile to cast lighter baits, its gonna be the Curado 70. I personally dont care for what they have turned the Chronarch into, being a plastic reel. That new Aldebaran aint worth what they want, not in a looong shot.

19. Member
    I am using a Curado 70 on mine. Also used an Aldebaran 50 but actually prefer the Curado 70. Also used the Chronarch and Curado 50e and they are both great reels as well

20. Member
    Curado 70 it is...thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast