Marriage Question for the Marines!

Is a young Marine new on station required to notify his/her COC before tying the knot? Then is further required to take a 7-8 month course about getting married? I don’t remember it being like that in the AF, but each branch is different and things constantly change. Thank you!

hahahahaha...I'm sure they're not. But probably should be. This coming from the father of a private who got married in language school.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Member
    My buddies in the Marines were always told "If the Marines wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one"
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Member
    I got out in 2010... however you were not required to tell anyone or ask permission or take any sort of courses then... however you would not receive your BAH and your Spouse would not receive any benefits until you notified your command so do you need permission, no should you probably tell someone... yes

5. Member
    If here in the states, no. If overseas you can run into a whole bunch of issues if command doesn't know and help negotiate the paperwork. Either way, no spousal benefits until it is all in the admin system.

6. Member
    Overseas can be issues even if command knows. I have a nephew serving in Japan right now. His family could not accompany him because one of his daughters is diabetic. That being said the Marine Corps has been the best thing ever for him. I look for him to try and make 20.

7. Tennessee Football Basstronaut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MNbasser11 View Post
    I got out in 2010... however you were not required to tell anyone or ask permission or take any sort of courses then... however you would not receive your BAH and your Spouse would not receive any benefits until you notified your command so do you need permission, no should you probably tell someone... yes
    This
    2019 Old Town - Topwater 120 PDL, Powerpole Micro, Helix 7 Mega SI/DI/GPS

Previous Rigs:

2018 Weldbilt 1648V / Johnson 9.9. Helix 12 G2 Mega DI / Helix 5 G2 GPS
    1999 Procraft 205 Pro / Merc 225 EFI. HB 998 / 798
    2013 Tracker Pro 160 / Merc 25 Fourstroke. HB 958 / 798
    1994 Stratos 270 VF / Johnson 150 Faststrike.
    90's 15' ft. Sea Nymph / 2010 Merc 9.9. HB 598 / 570

Previous Kayaks:

2010 Ascend 10T / HB 60
    2013 Ascend FS128T (Pair)
    2017 Field & Stream Shadow Caster 125

8. Member
    Thanks for the replies fellas. ��

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    My buddies in the Marines were always told "If the Marines wanted you to have a wife they would have issued you one"
    I waited all through my career in the Marines for my issued wife, got one after retirement.