Hydrowave Speaker Mounting on Ultrex

I have a question on what is the best location to mount a Hydrowave Speaker? I was planning on mounting it on the top of the Ultrex lower unit at the front.

I have watched the videos of KVDs 2018 and 2019 boat set-ups. And I noticed that for his 2018 rig, his Hydrowave speaker was mounting like I plan to, at the top front of the Ultrex lower unit, in front of the shaft. But for his 2019 he has it mounted at the top back or behind the shaft.

Maybe this is because of the built-in down imaging transducer he now has on his new Ultrex, but I'm not sure on that. I do not have that on my Ultrex btw, just the US2, but do have a Mega SI transducer mounted below.

Any thoughts or pictures of your similar set-up would be appreciated.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

I have mine mounted top front with Mega SI..

3. Member
    Mounted on the shaft above the motor housing facing forward.

4. Member
    I have mine mounted on top of the TM housing.

5. Faith, Family & Fishin' Bigun''s Avatar
    Saw that Zona has his facing the prop on his new rig
    1998 Champion 203 & Mercury 225 EFI

6. Member
    Does mounting it on top facing the prop distort the sound and performance? I don't have poles so I rely on my spotlock. I would try mounting it on the top front but it seems that my 80lb ultrex is too short on that side.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGDnation408 View Post
    Does mounting it on top facing the prop distort the sound and performance? I don't have poles so I rely on my spotlock. I would try mounting it on the top front but it seems that my 80lb ultrex is too short on that side.
    It should fit in front, I know they call it an oni-directional speaker but I feel like it the fish were listening it would sound like you talking into the fan blades as a kid.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    It should fit in front, I know they call it an oni-directional speaker but I feel like it the fish were listening it would sound like you talking into the fan blades as a kid.
    I'm going to see if I can fit it on there again. I just seems really short and the wire is sorta in the way. I don't want to squish it between the shaft and the speaker head.

Quote Originally Posted by BRGDnation408 View Post
    I'm going to see if I can fit it on there again. I just seems really short and the wire is sorta in the way. I don't want to squish it between the shaft and the speaker head.
    I've smooshed several there, that spot has never been my issue with speaker wires on HW. I would really think they could make it come out just off center a bit.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    I've smooshed several there, that spot has never been my issue with speaker wires on HW. I would really think they could make it come out just off center a bit.
    On mine I opened the housing and used a dremel to offset hole then sealed with silicone.

I have mine mounted on the top rear of my ultrex. Seems to work just fine !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I have mine mounted on the top rear of my ultrex. Seems to work just fine !!
    Awesome. That's how I just mounted mine so I think I'll just keep it there. I've already clamped it down so don't want to hassle with taking it off and repositioning it.