Power poles on smaller boats

I have a 91 Venture 18'6" bass boat with an 88' Yamaha 225 on it. Motor weighs 400# and has a 35 gallon gas tank back there plus 3x group 31 batteries. Do any of you guys have dual poles, whether it be Talons or poles on smaller boats and how low is it sitting in the water? I'm concerned with the motor and 300# of gas plus 3x group 31 batteries about the added weight.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I wouldnt consider and 18'6 boat small by any means.. I have a 18 foot 9" Ranger with a 200 etec on the back at 505 pounds 3 agm batteries at 75 pounds each and duel powerpole blades no issues. I have customers that have duel poles on small tin rigs. Looking at the wy your boat sits in the water now youy will have zero issues prob one of the more level sitting rides i have ever seen matter of fact. That must be a runner with a 225 on it whats it rated at?

3. Member
    You're good....plenty of boat and power. I never fill my tanks all the way....never needed close to 35 gallons in one day though

Have a buddy that weighs about 150#s sit back by the moto,r and see how the boat does. I had nothing but problems when I added 2-12ft talons and the brackets to an 18 ft ranger with a 175. Single axle trailers with the weight can also have problems as I found out.

5. Member
    I don’t think they weigh enough to affect your rig. I can see talons throwing off guys due to the weight of their brackets. I had a champ 181 so smaller than your rig and it would lean to drivers side when at idle with no passenger. Added a talon to opus it’s side and it didn’t make a difference.

Several boats around that are in the 18 ft class and that have shallow water anchors. Mine is 18'9" with dual talons and I have no transom issues. Look at the MLF boats. They are 18 ft with dual Power Poles and carry a way more heavy load than I do but they still have dual shallow water anchors...on a non related topic...My only concern in your case would be having an accident and someone getting injured. At 225 HP your have over the max suggested horsepower and the right person in the right place with an ambulance chasing lawyer would clean your pocket for overpowering a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    I wouldnt consider and 18'6 boat small by any means.. I have a 18 foot 9" Ranger with a 200 etec on the back at 505 pounds 3 agm batteries at 75 pounds each and duel powerpole blades no issues. I have customers that have duel poles on small tin rigs. Looking at the wy your boat sits in the water now youy will have zero issues prob one of the more level sitting rides i have ever seen matter of fact. That must be a runner with a 225 on it whats it rated at?
    My father in law bought the boat new and the motor was from his previous boat. He gave it to me several years ago and I had it completely restored with new composite transom and redid the gel coat, carpet, seats, etc. My father in law said he had a state patrol buddy sitting on a bridge clock him running 94 on radar with a light load on a 28 chopper prop back in the mid 90s when he was tournament fishing. As i have it rigged, it'll get to 80 real quick if you want to, I generally stay in the 60s. The sticker says it's rated at a 175hp, I plan on eventually putting a 175hp SHO 4 stoke on it but was also concerned with the weight since it weighs 100# more than my current motor.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Several boats around that are in the 18 ft class and that have shallow water anchors. Mine is 18'9" with dual talons and I have no transom issues. Look at the MLF boats. They are 18 ft with dual Power Poles and carry a way more heavy load than I do but they still have dual shallow water anchors...on a non related topic...My only concern in your case would be having an accident and someone getting injured. At 225 HP your have over the max suggested horsepower and the right person in the right place with an ambulance chasing lawyer would clean your pocket for overpowering a boat.
    I plan on re-powering with a 175HP SHO eventually, for now my cowling is unmarked for that very reason...

9. Member
    I’ve got dual blades, 4 Group 31 Optimas, two battery chargers, dual fuel tanks on my skeeter TZX190(18”8”) . I have a Yamaha F150. Didn’t have a noticeable impact on my hole shot or top speed. With two big Texans in the boat, full fuel and two live wells full, it runs fine. And it sits about 1” lower in the rear when fully loaded as described. I also have a single axle trailer with load “D” range Goodyear Endurance tires. It pulls great behind my Tundra at speeds up to 80mph. I travel long distances at a time each weekend to tournaments and the trailer shows no signs of stress.

I think there here is no problem in your future.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
    I plan on re-powering with a 175HP SHO eventually, for now my cowling is unmarked for that very reason...
    Just and FYI it’s my understanding that the 175 can not be tuned as the 200 can.