River Level - Pool 13 - How many days 'til spring?

Today it is at 7.8 which is normal for this time .... We'll see what comes downriver in the spring between the snow/ice melt off and the April rain. 2018 was a rough year with high muddy water and challenging conditions. Spring was good and gave up many 5 fish limits up to the 19 lb range (not us- though we did catch some for fun). We haven't fished a tournament in years but may hit up a couple this spring for old times sake and to maybe see some men that we often donated entry fees to. It is snowing and blowing right now as I look out over our deck and I don't like it .... Lucky for me, I've got a great wife and family who have kept me sane (I think) while we wait for spring.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

2. Member
    I had good fishing last year until about the 1st day of summer! Would like see you at our Harvester Bass club May 11 tournament. One of our members does a charity open on May 25. It's for Living Lands and Waters that cleans trash and junk from the Mississippi river banks. Hope we can get 'normal' pool levels for a change this summer. I like high water in the Spring but the last couple years it just wouldn't quit. Maybe we'll meet up this summer!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

3. Member
    When do they typically start putting the docks in? I am new to pool13 but looking to get out there quite a bit this year.

4. Member
    We actually had a pretty darn good year overall. Definitely had its ups and downs, but I think overall I have just adjusted to fishing highwater all the time and learned to adapt to it. Amazing tournament wise how bad some of our prefishing was and how good we ended up doing on tournament day. Just go out fishing and you never know what you'll find by the end of the day

5. Member
    Not sure about docks. They are all different

Hey Rip ... We took a look at a club that was interesting but in the end they are a draw format. Draw tournaments are a great way to learn and to meet other fishermen. You can also pick up new techniques and learn your way around a body of water. But, then again we enjoy fishing together and have been doing it for a long time so we share the same holes and in the end would rather fish together as we donate entry fees as the cost of the entertainment. After that, the Harvester tournament might just satisfy our desire to compete another day. The obvious difference from a competitive perspective is fishing with men who grew up on the river. But those men will always be there smiling at the ramp ... and we're ok with that. Today, it is raining ice. YUK!
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 02-23-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

7. Member
    I've belonged to this club a long time. We have about 175 members and most fish Tuesday evenings. It's a good group with very few issues. We lowered our weekend fees to $80 to maybe draw a few more boats. Big Slough is our biggest weekend draw, maybe 20-25 boats. If you decide to fish with us you join online, check out our website. Or you don't have to join for the charity tourney Memorial Day weekend and we have an open club tournament at Clinton Iowa in July. Hope to see you make one!

8. Member
    Been fishing Anglers Choice on 13 for a few years now.Supposed to have our first one up there April 28th.I’ve heard there are 4 tourneys going on the same weekend.Spring lake might get a little crowded.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbcf View Post
    Been fishing Anglers Choice on 13 for a few years now.Supposed to have our first one up there April 28th.I’ve heard there are 4 tourneys going on the same weekend.Spring lake might get a little crowded.
    Nothing new there. For whatever reason nobody is willing to make phone calls to any other clubs to try and plan around each other, instead we end up with 150 boats in spring lake. I've heard rumors that a few clubs purposely plan their dates on AC days to keep some of the AC guys from fishing their clubs. I'm not at those meetings and I'm sure they'll deny that, but it sure seems like over the last 3-4 years there is a couple clubs that always have their pool 13 tournament the same day as an AC.

I wonder why they call it "Spring Lake"?

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzzzbait88 View Post
    Nothing new there. For whatever reason nobody is willing to make phone calls to any other clubs to try and plan around each other, instead we end up with 150 boats in spring lake. I've heard rumors that a few clubs purposely plan their dates on AC days to keep some of the AC guys from fishing their clubs. I'm not at those meetings and I'm sure they'll deny that, but it sure seems like over the last 3-4 years there is a couple clubs that always have their pool 13 tournament the same day as an AC.
    I know for a fact that some clubs plan tournaments on the same weekend to keep certain people out.

12. Member
    Our club used to always have our pool 13 tournament on the last weekend of April. We've had issues getting permits on that date because more clubs are wanting to fish Spring Lake at that time period when it's best and there is only 3 weekends that fit. Mothers day also cramps open times. We don't set our times to keep guys out, some of the best guys are fishing our club. In the past the 3rd week of April is usually too early for a good bite and more dependable weather. This year we were forced into doing the Saturday before Mother's Day.

The weather has been so erratic the past several years it is not possible to time within 14 days what water and air temperatures will be.... Will it rain or will it snow? Will the wind be blowing? From what direction? Will the barometer rise or fall? What phase is the moon at? What color will the water be? So many times on the drive to the river we are thinking that "Today" there will be a great bite!!! Sometimes, it is. Often, it is not. Historically, those weeks fit the transition from winter to spring and we are so ready to go get 'em. Thank God for the health and financial ability to go out and play... Even if you are fishing for a different weigh-in - you will still be giving up many holes to the same fishermen of other clubs who are out on the same days. So, are you competing against them? - Yes you are - ....
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 02-26-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tbcf View Post
    I know for a fact that some clubs plan tournaments on the same weekend to keep certain people out.
    It's sad they have to do that. Fishing would be better for everyone with less pressure on the water. I guess if thats what they have to do in order to go home and tell mama they won 50$ then so be it.