Help finding the correct hubs for trailer

I have a 1998 Hydra-Sports 196 with matching trailer. I bought it used 2 years ago. It has developed a vibration when pulling it down the road and one of the hubs slings grease like crazy (has done this since I bought it). It is dual axle and I want to replace all 4 of the hubs just for piece of mind (everything I've read says its relatively cheap). The problem is I do not know which hubs to buy. The only info I can find on the trailer is that there is a Hydra-Sports sticker on both of the fenders, so I assume it is a factory sticker. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It really doesn't sound like you have a hub issue at all. Hubs generally don't go bad unless you have a bearing or caliper failure and then they are usually damaged as a result. One of them needs seals, which is a trivial repair, and you probably have a tire failing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It really doesn't sound like you have a hub issue at all. Hubs generally don't go bad unless you have a bearing or caliper failure and then they are usually damaged as a result. One of them needs seals, which is a trivial repair, and you probably have a tire failing.
    Brand new tires, forgot to mention, one of the hubs the bearings are rough when the tire free spins

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwrong View Post
    Brand new tires, forgot to mention, one of the hubs the bearings are rough when the tire free spins
    If your bearings are bad enough you can feel it spinning a wheel, it won't last any time at all. Maybe a few miles. Even if they are bad, new bearings and races should solve that quickly. If it's a noise you are hearing, it's more likely to be brake bads rubbing than bearings.
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If your bearings are bad enough you can feel it spinning a wheel, it won't last any time at all. Maybe a few miles. Even if they are bad, new bearings and races should solve that quickly. If it's a noise you are hearing, it's more likely to be brake bads rubbing than bearings.
    How would I check that?

6. Member
    Along the same lines as catfan said, when you say “replace the hubs” you mean replace the bearings, races, and seals inside the hub, correct? The bearings seals and races, depending on quality you buy, should run you 20-25 bucks per wheel. Add actual replacement hubs to the mix and it will at least double probably much more especially if two of your hubs have rotors for brakes. Again it’s unlikely there is an issue with the hub unless you’ve had a significant catastrophic failure. If you just need bearings races seals then knock the protector off, remove the spindle nut, then get the part numbers off everything. If the numbers are unreadable take good caliper measurements or simply take the old parts with you to the parts store.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Along the same lines as catfan said, when you say “replace the hubs” you mean replace the bearings, races, and seals inside the hub, correct? The bearings seals and races, depending on quality you buy, should run you 20-25 bucks per wheel. Add actual replacement hubs to the mix and it will at least double probably much more especially if two of your hubs have rotors for brakes. Again it’s unlikely there is an issue with the hub unless you’ve had a significant catastrophic failure. If you just need bearings races seals then knock the protector off, remove the spindle nut, then get the part numbers off everything. If the numbers are unreadable take good caliper measurements or simply take the old parts with you to the parts store.
    i just thought pre greased hubs with the bearing already pressed in, would be a much easier job than me finding something to pressed new seals and bearings in.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    i just thought pre greased hubs with the bearing already pressed in, would be a much easier job than me finding something to pressed new seals and bearings in.
    Same stuff has to be done even with new hubs. The inner race is on the spindle and you have to pack and install bearings and tap the seal in place whether it’s new or you are just inspecting.
    nothing else matters.​

Would be a good time to go through all of the hubs and replace the seals, bearings/races (if needed) and grease everything. On the side of the road is not the time to learn!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Would be a good time to go through all of the hubs and replace the seals, bearings/races (if needed) and grease everything. On the side of the road is not the time to learn!
    I agree. None of it is hard.....at home when it is dry, you have parts and tools and don't have semis going past you 6ft away at 65MPH
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Did you have the tires balanced?

12. Member
    No disrespect meant but it sounds like you may need to get a friend that is familiar with some auto/trailer mechanical experience to help/show you how this done because owning a boat/trailer will cause you a lot of heart aches if you're not familiar with some preventive maintenance knowledge and repair knowledge.

You tube is a great friend in most cases.
    Rocket