Cork or Winn grips

for you all that have used both. which do you like Better.
    getting ready to order some more blanks and trying to figure out my grip system I want. have always used Cork for the most part and never had a rod with the Winn grips. held a few in the store and they seemed comfortable enough but have never used one for a full day or more of fishing.

Maybe I'm old but I prefer cork. I've had EVA , Winn and cork.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

3. Goby King
    Depends what you like. I like and have used them all and i prefer cork. Plus, I have a hard time justifying foam on a SCV! Kinda like putting hubcaps and bumper stickers on a Benz!

Pro is the way to go for me.

5. Member
    Winn grips for me, but my last few builds have been Tennessee style spinning rods and the sensitivity is outta this world and sooo comfortable
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

6. Member
    I've used Winn, cork, and EVA. IMHO Winn and EVA are easier to build with as they stretch and so I use them almost exclusively for my own personal rods. The "stickiness" of the Winn grips is real, but then I've never thrown a rod overboard. The color options of the Winn grips can be coordinated with thread etc. which is neat. FWIW I don't worry about casting rod handle sensitivity because I don't hold the handle when retrieving/working the bait, only when casting.

7. Member
    I'm with Brad as far as not worrying about handle sensitivity on a casting rod, or on a spinning rod for that matter. As he said, the only time I touch the handle on a casting rod is when I am actually casting a bait. Otherwise I'm holding the reel seat and palming the reel.

Basically the same goes for spinning rods. I've used the same skeleton reel seat with a woven graphite insert on the spinning rods I've built. When casting or working the bait, I am holding the reel seat. The only part of my hand that touches the rear grip on a spinning rod, is the very butt of my hand.

I haven't used Winn grips before, but some of them do look sharp, and their weight can be advantageous when it comes to helping to balance a rod and reel combination. I've either used EVA or foam cored carbon fiber sleeved grips on all of the rods I've built thus far. I actually like the looks of EVA, and the carbon fiber grips add a cool looking factor. Especially if you top coat them with some epoxy and then a final coat with Permagloss.

A lot of people assume a carbon fiber grip that is top coated like that is slippery, but unless you have an oily substance on your hand, like fish slime, they aren't slippery at all. Not even in a pouring rain

I prefer larger diameter cork. But I have big hands.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

9. Member
    Cork for me personally but I build for a lot of people using Winn grips. I've had a couple of personal rods with Winns and they were fine. On the majority of my personal rods I only use 3 rings for the grip (and half of one of those is filed into a tenon) because I palm the reel and like to save the weight...I've got a couple where I've only used 1 or 2 rings as well.

Cork, i have a few winn grips for for some reason that are not looking to good. I wear alot of sunscreen, so i guess that could be the problem
    Last edited by Black Haze; 02-12-2019 at 04:45 PM.

11. Member
    Cork.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

12. Member
    Carbon fiber...

Cork

14. Member
    I like cork handles as well, but my hands turns the cork black after awhile as im a mechanic by trade. The last couple rod's i have built have been winn grips from winn or the MHX brand from mud hole and yes they are black grips.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc