Head gasket help on 96' johnson 200 venom

I'm replacing the head gaskets on my motor and my service manual says to use sealer on "600 " motors and nothing on all others. What is the 600 designation? When I look online at head gaskets there are two options..gaskets that come with a bead of sealer on them and gaskets without sealer. How can I be sure which to use. I'm concerned about which to use because the head gaskets that were leaking on the motor had the bead of sealer on them, maybe thats why they failed? Maybe the gaskets for my motor are not supposed to have sealer? How can I determine this?

2. Member
    Model is j200stledm

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The factory head gasket has a bead of sealant on it #0345257 The aftermarket part does not. Don't know what service manual you have.

4. Member
    Have you considered surfacing the heads?

5. Member
    I cleaned the heads and they look new other than being a little dirty..I've checked for warping and they don't need to be resurfaced. My main concern was about the sealer and whether or not leaking this much would cause the very low compression readings I got.

6. Member
    Also wondering which is considered the better option, with or without sealer?

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Oem has a bead of sealer as Fred said.....and that's the only parts I'd put on her...JMHO I'd say it's a good possibility you were losing some compression if the bolts were that loose. After replacing head gaskets they need to run through a couple heat cycles and retorqued....Maybe the last ones weren't retorqued?

8. Member
    Yeah I'm thinking they slapped it together once and were done with it.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I've been working on these things for a few summers and I've never seen any reference to "600" sealant in any shop manual I've ever read. Your torque values are 18 ft. Lbs. per bolt. Start in the center and follow the numbers on the head. Bring them all up to 12 Ft. Lbs., and then final torque of 18.

10. Member
    1992-2001 Johnson/Evinrude 65-300 HP service manual......says...on 600 motors, apply a thin bead of rtv adhesive around each water passage on the cylinder block. On 90 degree motors, apply a light coating of evinrude/johnson gasket sealing compound to both sides of a new cylinder head gasket. Those are my options according to the service manual for installing the cylinder head. I didn't say 600 sealant...

I tried to upload an image from the service manual where it says this but I couldn't get it to work
    Last edited by Cobrafisher; 02-11-2019 at 11:39 PM.

11. Member
    I don't think you have a OEM service manual for this motor, get one and throw that manual you've got in the trash.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 02-12-2019 at 05:11 AM.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafisher View Post
    1992-2001 Johnson/Evinrude 65-300 HP service manual......says...on 600 motors, apply a thin bead of rtv adhesive around each water passage on the cylinder block. On 90 degree motors, apply a light coating of evinrude/johnson gasket sealing compound to both sides of a new cylinder head gasket. Those are my options according to the service manual for installing the cylinder head. I didn't say 600 sealant...

I tried to upload an image from the service manual where it says this but I couldn't get it to work
    Yeah that's not a factory service manual. BRP/OMC manuals are a yearly publication meaning they don't span a year range and only publish model family group. So it sounds like you've got a Clymer or Sealoc manual. I have no idea what a 600 motor is perhaps it is referencing a 60* motor they use silicone to seal the water passages, as they use O rings not head gaskets. If you would like to use gasket sealer then by all means use it. The factory head gasket does not need sealant.