Thread: Trim Pin

Trim Pin

OG424027

Was fishing this weekend and glad I noticed when I did. Limped back to the trailer. Got to looking at it and the whole bushing?? Pin?? Is missing from the upper end of the tilt ram. The ram is completely loose from the swivel bracket. Didn’t hit anything. Is this a common problem? How hard is it to get a new one in it? Also saw there’s a “trilobe” pin that holds it in place. I’m assuming I’ll need a new one of those as well. Any idea what might have caused this? Thanks, Ryan
    '96 Blazer 202 PRO-V '96 Mercury 225 EFI (S/N 0G424027)

2. Member
    Can't come out unless that tai-lobe pin is MIA. It can work its way out if it is not seated completely when installed. The pin is not hard to replace, nor the tri-lobe pin. You might make sure the starboard side bushing is still there, they tend to work their way out and fall away, introducing slop and movement where there should be none. Easy to tap a new one in (you can put blue locktite on the outside of the bushing before tapping it in to make it less likely to come out again. Not a hard fix at all. Probably want to mark and remove tilt sending unit so you can access the slot when you insert the new pin to align the hold through the pin with the hole in the end of the tilt rod fitting.

My starboard bushing came out a couple of months ago. I heard an unusual creaking noise when tilting up the motor to trailer the boat. Then found the tri-lobe pen was a little loose, probably caused by the bushing being removed. And the upper trim cylinder seal started to leak at the same time... Did not lose that cross pin, but I suppose it was possible.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    The whole setup is missing. I can see through the hole. Actually I can take the whole tilt ram cylinder thingy mabobber and move it front to back with my hand. I believe I found the part numbers I need. Going to look around locally and try to find em. If not I’ll order em. Is that pin and bushing pressed in or does it slide in fairly easily?

4. Member
    Also, which starboard side bushing are you referring to? I don’t seem to see it on the parts diagram

5. Member
    The big cross-pin sits in two of those metal bushings, one on either side. That big pin goes thru the bushing, then thru the end of the trim shaft, then through the other bushing. It is a common part and the starboard side has been known to fall off of several boats. If is about 1" long, just larger than the big cross pin, and has a slit down one side. Installs easily, most suggest using blue locktite[damned spell correction] on the starboard side to keep it from coming out again. The port side bushing is held in place by the power trim sensor that engages the slotted end of that big pin.
    Last edited by OldTimer57; 02-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    I see now. Apparently I don’t have a trim sensor?? No gauge on the dash so must not seed it? Never noticed it before. Should I install one to keep from having this problem again?

7. Member

8. Member
    Never seen one without, but that's OK. I just would buy two, remove the existing bushing and install both with blue locktite on the outside so that neither will work its way out.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Member

10. Member
    make sure tilt ram is not bent and look at top of trim mtr see if it was crushed when pin started out before all repairs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Okay going to dig into it more this evening. Ordered parts yeaterday

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Trim Sensor does not retain the crosspin- the crosspin is retained by the TriLobe Pin.

See Rhonda's Post (pinned at the top of the Forum)- you can lookup these components on our website, by serial number. Bushings are under "Swivel Bracket" section, Remaining components are in the Trim and Tilt section.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Yes sir. Thank you. I actually got the cross pin, trilobe, pin, and two new bushings. About to try and install it here shortly. Any tips or tricks I should know? Also I need to get the old bushings out. Hope they aren’t too bad to get out.. main question is once I get the new cross pin in how hard is it to spin it and line the holes up for the Trilobe pin?

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the bushings are intact, and not heavily worn, leave them. You will absolutely tear them up and mangle them during removal.

As for install... it just requires a little finesse. Extension and sockets, or float the new bushings on the crosspin while starting them into the bracket.

Recommend some RED liquid loctite on the outside of the bushings.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

see if this helps. are you sure the old bushings are still in ?
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=1#post9911738

16. Member
    Okay thanks. Gonna find some loctite then get after it.

17. Member
    Done! Easy fix. Don, looking at the trim motor, it did hit the top of it and put a very small dent in it. Doesn’t look like anything major but I’m not sure how much it takes to really damage it.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Saw your pictures- while it shouldn't look like that, I suspect it will not affect the operation of the trim motor.

19. Member
    Okay. I will monitor it. If something doesn’t seem right I will replace it. Thanks again for all of y’all help!

20. Member
    I was talking about the trim sensor retaining the port pin BUSHING. Starboard bushing is open to the wind...
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200