Cowling vent removal?

I have a 250 Pro XS cowling. A friend of mine backed it into a garage when putting his boat away. Insurance replaced it. So I bought the cracked one. It would be easier to fix it if that rear cowling vent wasn't there.Short of a bomb is there anyway to get that out of there? I know that Mercury never intended it to come out because they used some serious adhesive to attach all the vents inside this cowl. Wondered if anyone had removed it and how?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info each time you post. Thanks!

Never removed one- and you're right, they're glued like no tomorrow.

Depending on how bad that crack is, you might try wicking just a small amount of acetone into the crack (with a hypodermic needle), then hold crack together and allow plastic to "meld".

Works pretty well if you get everything just right...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info each time you post. Thanks!

Never removed one- and you're right, they're glued like no tomorrow.

Depending on how bad that crack is, you might try wicking just a small amount of acetone into the crack (with a hypodermic needle), then hold crack together and allow plastic to "meld".

Works pretty well if you get everything just right...

4. Member
    All I have is the cowling so I have no serial number but thanks you guys for your help. I have some other plans for this cowling which is why I would like to get all that inside venting out of there.
    Last edited by hooken203; 02-17-2019 at 09:09 AM.