Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Helix 7/ Cold Weather

I converted my Helix 7 for ice fishing,... It does not like the cold weather. Is there any heaters to put inside the carrying case to get it work ? tried to use it in my ice shelter with a portable heater , no luck .The minute I get it home it works fine . Any suggestions
    Thanks.

2. Member
    Mine works fine in the cold. What is it doing? Is your battery in good shape?

3. Banned
    turn it on ,
    go to menu for start up
    click on "normal "
    goes to "system status " , then cannot get out of that page .battery is fully charged.

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    What kind of battery are you using? (how old also).

They will run fine on a 9 amp ( I use a 12 amp with my ice units).

Also try hitting exit 2X instead of a menu selection (you can also check to see demo is shut off).

If you have current software, try setting you back light to 6, it sounds like the battery is shot - and it's locking up when it tries to run.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Banned
    Battery is brand new ,came with carrying case.
    Upgraded software, Works fine when I bring into house (home). Is there any type of heater or warming pack to stuff into the case ?I tried using one of those hand warmer packs ,not even warm.
    Will try it outside again later in the week . Thanks
    It goes to "Menu Selection" when turned on at first, press cursor up to "Normal" , the "system status" shows up on screen,cannot click out.
    Last edited by Marky1; 02-10-2019 at 09:28 PM.

6. Member
    I will just say this, yesterday and since last week, I have fished from 0 to -10 air temps, windchills from -5 to -25 (maybe worse). The only thing aint working is my fingers after about 30 minutes. My helix 5's don't seem to change performance at all. I have 4 of them for my family and none of them fail in the cold. We have 12v 9amp batteries.

If you have 1.83 or 1.84 (Most recent) I would down grade to the previous version. My 5's went form working perfectly prior to upgrading to worthless. I contacted HB Customer service and they were great. they sent me 1.64 and everything was back to perfect. Perhaps your issues are SW related?

7. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    If the condition persists, call HB - you may have a thermally sensitive component or bad solder connection internally.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

8. Banned
    "Works" fine in my cellar,

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky1 View Post
    "Works" fine in my cellar,
    In that case I would consider fixing your Sump pump before your helix.

10. Member
    transducer plugged in good? mine will do the same thing if the transducer isnt plugged in good or not at all

11. Banned
    Will look into it , but why is it okay in the house ,not outside? Turned it on this afternoon,everything was "normal ",System status,..Passed.

12. Banned
    Do not need a sump pump if I live on a hill.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I know you said new battery - but I have to wonder if you have a dud.

I've seen it way to often, they show charged or good voltage, but get them cold & put a load on one & it tanks.

If it's NOT the battery - like I said it's likely a thermally sensitive component/solder joint.

I've used my 'Birds in single digit WX plenty of times over the years - the color TFT LCDs just don't freeze unless you're in conditions no human wants to try to endure.

I used to run an electronics shop and we did lots of different repairs including marine electronics, and they make a freeze spray with a WD40 like snorkel tube you use to spray right on the IC's & other semiconductors to trigger the thermal breakdown conditions, so have you tried another battery or ran a DVM on the supply line to confirm it's holding at least 11 volts UNDER LOAD?

I don't really think it's the unit....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

14. Banned
    Will put my meter to see what I am getting for voltage under load. Just hoping it's the battery , not the unit .

15. Member
    With the way some battery manufacturers have moved around, wouldn't be surprised to find a battery not up to specifications...LOL May want to test it under a cold soaked condition to see if it is up to par especially if you used the same battery under both conditions.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    With the way some battery manufacturers have moved around, wouldn't be surprised to find a battery not up to specifications...LOL May want to test it under a cold soaked condition to see if it is up to par especially if you used the same battery under both conditions.
    Kind of like a few months ago when we bought a brand new 60k work truck and the first day below 32 truck wouldn't start. Dud brand new battery....

17. Banned
    Will put it outside in my truck later , when it's colder for few hours . Then see what happens , will report back here .

18. Banned
    Going to try my Helix5 to see it is any better than my Helix7 .

19. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Do you find you're having a focus problem overall - or just with troubleshooting a single issue?

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

20. Banned
    Single issue . And what do you mean by "focus problem?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast