Hydraulic steering?

I have a 1997 Javelin 400 TSD with a 200hp Johnson. It currently has no-feedback cable steering. Its unbelievably hard to steer at high speeds and even harder to steer at idle speeds. We have greased everything we can think of. The cable seems like it is just unable to slide freely. My question is would any of you suggest going with hydraulic steering? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BBC!

I personally would not operate a boat rigged with more than a 115HP without hydraulic steering. If you do make the switch, DO NOT GET THE BAYSTAR SYSTEM!! Get the SeaStar system. Preferably the Pro model with the HC5345 cylinder.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

3. Member
    i have no feedback now and before replaced i had same problem , when insalling new ones the instruction said to adjust one against the other to remove play and the last owner had it adjusted to remove play but so hard to steer! the cables probably need replacement . up nere hydrolic cost around can$2000 and got cables + helm no feedback for can$ 600. and not so bad to turn . if you go seastar you need seastar PRO like joe said .

4. Member
    If your willing to feel a little pain in the wallet go with hydraulic steering. It cost more up front but will operate so much better you'll wonder why you didn't do it before. As stated above you will have to go with the SeaStar pro as the BayStar system is rated for 150 HP and below.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

5. Member
    I wouldn't put that kind of money in that old a boat. You will get 5 -7 years out of new cables, save some money to go fishing!

Don

6. Member
    Doroger
    That what was actually what I meant by is it worth it. Being a 1997 is it worth sinking $1500+ into something I wont be taking off and keeping when sold which honestly if not next year will at least be the year after.

7. Member
    Keep an eye on the motor parts or miscellaneous for sale sections and find a used system. I bought one for about $600 for my last boat and installed it myself. Worth every penny. Easy to install if you're at all mechanical.

8. Member
    Where are those sections? Cant find them.

9. Member
    Nvm. Found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Driggan7 View Post
    Doroger
    That what was actually what I meant by is it worth it. Being a 1997 is it worth sinking $1500+ into something I wont be taking off and keeping when sold which honestly if not next year will at least be the year after.
    If it helps, I'm planning on installing a Pro system on my 1987. I have original dual cable system now and need to change for the same reasons as you. I will gladly spend the extra $500 or $600. Better, perhaps safer and I think easier to install than a cable system. I can't wait to cut my cables with a bolt cutter.

11. Member
    Check Ebay for hydraulic steering. Several years ago I bought an unused Seastar unit for $630.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

12. Member
    I put mine on a 1997 boat with a 175 for about $1000 new when I was in my late 60's. That was about 8 years ago. My boat looks like sh*t but it does steer easily. I had NFB system on it before. It might have been No Feed Back, but it was also No Steer unless you're Hercules. Hydraulic is great.

13. Member
    Get the SeaStar system. Worth every penny. I put it on my 95 Bee and would do it again.

14. Member
    Haha. I think I'm with most of you guys. Found someone who will install it for about $1300 so that's my route.

15. Banned
    You may not get all your money back when you sell the boat, but it'll be easier to sell... Dan

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I got mine from JR at Pitstop Marine for less that $1K easy to install if you have a bud to help you. Worse part is cutting a hole in the dash to accept the helm.

17. Member
    Hydraulic Steering YES YES YES YES, I upgrade on a 1987 Champion and it was the best $1200 I ever spent on that boat.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

18. Member
    Like Champ said,Hardest part in cutting the hole.Installed Seastar on my 1990 HydraSport 10 yrs ago,Just do it and you will never regret it

19. Member
    I basically have the same boat. I have the same problem. I put one steering cable on and it helped. but now it has gotten worse and again. it has been about a yr since I replaced the one cable so I ordered another and it came in today and I'm going to try it. My boat is a 96 400 se with a 200 Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I put mine on a 1997 boat with a 175 for about $1000 new when I was in my late 60's. That was about 8 years ago. My boat looks like sh*t but it does steer easily. I had NFB system on it before. It might have been No Feed Back, but it was also No Steer unless you're Hercules. Hydraulic is great.
    If I had my choice I would rather have one that steers nice than looks good.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO