Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best monofilament

I was wondering what everyone's favorite overall monofilament would be in terms of limpness, and castabilty for both heavier 17- 20 lb for flipping /pitching and lighter lines for top water. Ive been using invsx 17lb pitching 1/4 to 3/8 oz jigs and Texas rigged baits and it seems to get memory fairly bad and needs stretched constantly.

2. Fishing is a Passion
    Trilene Big Game
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Subjective but mines Trilene XL.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Member
    Big Game!!!

5. Member
    Big game is great but will have memory

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Subjective but mines Trilene XL.
    Still the best.

7. Member
    I’m a big fan of #12 and #14 Sunline Super Natural for topwaters. It’s really limp.

Trilene XL
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I’m a big fan of #12 and #14 Sunline Super Natural for topwaters. It’s really limp.
    And I definitely agree with you! Amazing line

10. Member
    K9 Flouro is terrible flourocarbon, but works super good for same baits you would use with mono. Excellent for jerkbaits, crankbaits, Arigs, and buzzbaits. Better casting and handling than any stren, trilene, pline, or suffix have ever used and almost no memory. Though it says flouro it really somekind of copoly and fishes like a mono. Line diameter is smaller than above mono's so go with next biggest size to get same diameter. 10lb for jerks and small cranks. 14lb deep cranks and shallow square bills, and 20lb Arig and buzzbaits.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Still the best.
    XL for me also.

12. Member
    Stren magnathin for all around good mono if you think it's just for walleye your missing out on quality good priced mono.....loved defier armillo for topwater and jerkbaits as well.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrc View Post
    K9 Flouro is terrible flourocarbon, but works super good for same baits you would use with mono. Excellent for jerkbaits, crankbaits, Arigs, and buzzbaits. Better casting and handling than any stren, trilene, pline, or suffix have ever used and almost no memory. Though it says flouro it really somekind of copoly and fishes like a mono. Line diameter is smaller than above mono's so go with next biggest size to get same diameter. 10lb for jerks and small cranks. 14lb deep cranks and shallow square bills, and 20lb Arig and buzzbaits.

14. Member
    Maxima Green!

15. Member
    Big Game or XT on casting gear. XL on spinning. Tried and true. Original Stren isn't bad either, but it's fallen out of the limelight in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Trilene Big Game
    This is my choice also.

Limpness or toughness, choose one!

Little bit of oversimplification, but seems to hold true. I've not used a ton of mono recently and when I have it's been because I'm looking for something really tough which sounds different from what you want. Of the stuff I've tried, Berkley Sensation is actually really good. It's really limp, doesn't seem to hold a lot of memory, and is even surprisingly tough - tougher than Trilene XL and maybe even a little better behaved in my mind.

If toughness were your goal, I'd say Maxima Ultragreen or PLine CXX, though I suppose maybe these are considered copolymers. They're definitely not well behaved in any case, and are probably less well behaved than some of the pricier fluoros out there. I have found they take to stretching much better than fluoro, for whatever that's worth.

MRC's reply about K9's "Fluoro" does seem to be pretty outrageous at first glance, but I honestly couldn't agree more. If you want fluoro, the stuff is awful. And like MRC said, it's really a copolymer. It stretches a lot and it's near the bottom of the barrel for fluoros in terms of abrasion resistance. BUT it's really well behaved, and for its level of manageability it's more abrasion resistant than any true mono I've used at a given lb test. Their thinner diameters are responsible for some of that I suspect. I do see that they've started carrying an actual 100% fluoro now which I suspect behaves a lot more like the fluoro the rest of us are using.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

18. Member
    If you don't mind co-poly, McCoy Mean Green is a good choice.

Also like Mean Green... kinda thick, but all mono is thick after fishing Sniper and Tatsu lol...

Partner swears by Big Game, another good line and less costly for sure. Downsize and spray with Reel Snot to lessen memory and it's very good.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Limpness or toughness, choose one!

Little bit of oversimplification, but seems to hold true. I've not used a ton of mono recently and when I have it's been because I'm looking for something really tough which sounds different from what you want. Of the stuff I've tried, Berkley Sensation is actually really good. It's really limp, doesn't seem to hold a lot of memory, and is even surprisingly tough - tougher than Trilene XL and maybe even a little better behaved in my mind.

If toughness were your goal, I'd say Maxima Ultragreen or PLine CXX, though I suppose maybe these are considered copolymers. They're definitely not well behaved in any case, and are probably less well behaved than some of the pricier fluoros out there. I have found they take to stretching much better than fluoro, for whatever that's worth.

MRC's reply about K9's "Fluoro" does seem to be pretty outrageous at first glance, but I honestly couldn't agree more. If you want fluoro, the stuff is awful. And like MRC said, it's really a copolymer. It stretches a lot and it's near the bottom of the barrel for fluoros in terms of abrasion resistance. BUT it's really well behaved, and for its level of manageability it's more abrasion resistant than any true mono I've used at a given lb test. Their thinner diameters are responsible for some of that I suspect. I do see that they've started carrying an actual 100% fluoro now which I suspect behaves a lot more like the fluoro the rest of us are using.
    Good call on the Sensation. Excellent line!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast