Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Optima Blue tops

Whos running them and what size are running for a cranking battery?
    Do you like them?

2. Member
    Love them for my trollin motor, but I gotta be honest, I don’t care for it for cranking and running the electronics and such. I’m running a 31 for that now but seriously thinkin of lookin into something different for this. It doesn’t seem to have enough reserve capacity to stay up enough after sittin in one area for more than a couple hours with the electronics and livewells running.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    Love them for my trollin motor, but I gotta be honest, I don’t care for it for cranking and running the electronics and such. I’m running a 31 for that now but seriously thinkin of lookin into something different for this. It doesn’t seem to have enough reserve capacity to stay up enough after sittin in one area for more than a couple hours with the electronics and livewells running.
    I'm in the same situation. Just added another HDS unit and first trip out ran low voltage after just a few hours. I feel there are better choices availble. Will either replace with the Duracell from Sam's or the one from Napa that's come highly recommended also.
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

4. Member
    Not enough RC for my liking, use dozens at work but for marine starting batteries there is way better for way less

5. Member
    Batteries Plus and get the X2 or look at Napa commercial batteries.

6. Member
    I used to run them but one after another crapped out under warranty till the guy I was buying them from would not sell me anymore , he switched me to Deka agms i never had one go down they were in my boat when I sold it 7 years, with the blue tops I needed to carry jumper cables .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

Hated the one I had. Left me dead in the water during a T.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

D31M. I have had good luck with mine.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

9. Banned
    Trying the Optimas was the worst experiment I’ve made in my boating days.

10. Member
    James, you are running three large high power graphs and a 360. Assuming you also use your livewells, and, perhaps some shallow water anchors. Unless you are using a house battery, you need a good reserve on your cranking battery. Optimas typically have a Reserve Capacity about 25% smaller than other brands of the same battery group size. That is because their spiral cell technology allows them to be smaller, but, at the cost of the RC.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. Member
    I gave the 31 a try as a starting battery, running graphs, etc. So happy the dealer took it back and gave me the new Interstate AGM.

12. Member
    I have nothing but Optimas in my Skeeter. I had to add a house grp 27 to run my
    graphs, pumps, lights, and radio. I tried with a single grp 34m and it couldn’t run it and start the motor after a few hours...I was dead on the water. After adding another battery and using the Yamahas built in dual charging system, I have no more issues...other than added weight in the boat and less weight in my wallet.

Next go around, I’ll NOT be using Optima. I think I’ll go with Deka or something similar. Less money and likely better.

I have four of them on my boat. Two for the trolling motor, one for electronics and one for cranking. Motor is a 50hp Mercury 2-stoke so a little smaller then yours. I fish mostly electric only lakes and reservoirs and they haven't let me down yet. Guess I got some of the good ones. Ordered them on Amazon. Free shipping and they arrived fast.

These are the ones I use:

Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M BlueTop Starting and Deep Cycle Marine Battery

14. Member
    graphs, pumps, lights, and radio. I tried with a single grp 34m and it couldn’t run it and start the motor after a few hours...I was dead on the water. After adding another battery and using the Yamahas built in dual charging system, I have no more issues...other than added weight in the boat and less weight in my wallet.

Next go around, I’ll NOT be using Optima. I think I’ll go with Deka or something similar. Less money and likely better.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post

That 34 is much too small to try and run all that stuff. That’s a little battery. 27 group would be minimum for a starting battery if you run your graphs and such off. A quality 31 group is a much better choice.

The 34M is for starting only. It is not a deep cycle for running accessory loads and is comparable to a group 24. You can't expect that battery to do something it is not made to do.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

17. Member
    I suggest you look at the Duracell AGM 31 starting/deep cycle at Sam's club. I understand if you are a new member you get your membership fee off on your first purchase. If you know someone with a Sam's membership, it's a moot point.
    Almost everyone that uses that battery is pleased with their purchase. I am.

D31M for cranking and accessories duty. It’s 4+ years old, and hasn’t missed a beat in an 8 hour fishing day. Most of which is spent with two graphs and livewells running all day. Never had a problem with RC being an issue.
    D34M blue tops for the TM. They’re dated 3/2010 and still going. RC hasn’t been an issue with them either.
    Going to hate to see those batteries go belly up one day. I’ll probably buy Duracell AGMs when I replace them unless I can get a deal on more Optimas.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

19. Member
    I have used them in the past . I will never use them again . Deka from here on out .

20. Member
    I used a optima 31 for my cranking battery with 4 units, livewells,etc it just wasn’t big enough. I do run (3) for my trolling batteries and do not have a complaint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast