Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA Crestliner pt18 versus Ranger RT198p

I am sure this has been discussed before, could not find much on the PT18. I am in process of selling 20 Bay Reef boat, done with saltwater. Going back to freshwater and the 50-60k boats are not where I want to be. Love the Crestliner front deck, huge ! But the quality seems to be in the Ranger. Have looked at both, at dealers and on internet, in same price range . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I can’t offer much on the two boats. But love The Villages. In-laws live there. I go couple times a year. Since I don’t golf. Usually find me on one of the many lakes nearby.

But when at home ( where I grew up ) J-Ville, I hit the inter coastal for Reds.

About the two boat, opinions are just that. I say buy the one with the layout that you like best. More importantly the dealer you like best.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    Can't comment on the crestliner, looks like a really nice boat though. I went to a 198P after owning 18' glass boats for the last 20 years. I have no regrets at all. I love the Ranger, ride is great and fishes even better.

As Glenn said buy the one you think is best for you. sounds like your leaning Ranger already?

4. Member
    I seen a tin ranger at a local dealer and the welding looked like a hen scratching and never quit. Transom area the top deck and sides were not even close to being tight so they took and just filled it with weld that looked just horrible. Every weld on that particular boat was just plain sad and I MEAN sad. I would look darn close at the welds on any aluminum Ranger boat I was buying.

5. Banned
    Both seem like nice boats, I'm hearing some weld issues with crestliner. The crestliner does have a thicker hull, that would be a big selling feature for me.

6. Member
    I had a Lowe Singer HP18, which is also owned by Brunswick. It was a good boat, but priced the same as the Ranger RT188. Quality is a step down from Ranger. Besides that, the dealer is more important than the brand.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

7. Member
    this will be my third year in my PT18 and I love it, the storage is fantastic and it fishes great. I have no complaints.

I know a few guys with Rangers and they love them also. So it comes down to which is best for you, dealer location should be
    a consideration.

good luck choosing
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

if you want speed, go with the Ranger. the PT18 is not a pad hull and it's , not the fastest tin out there. for everything else the PT18. thicker aluminum, bigger livewell. huge casting deck, and three full size rod lockers. both boats are great but my PT18 fits me better than the Ranger.

9. Member
    I have a Ranger RT188 (just get that out there)... When I was looking, I went to the boat show with a buddy to look at all of the different brands. I thought the Crestliner looked like a really nice boat. My buddy knows the owner of an aluminum fabrication and repair company, that was exhibiting at the show, and he suggested we go talk to him. The first thing he said was "we refer to them as crackliner." With that said, cracks in the welds could be an issue with any of these aluminum hulls, and it is really dependent on the hull and who welded it that day. Someone above recommended checking the welds, and I would agree, find you a hull that looks like you are getting the best/cleanest welds. Go with the layout you like the best, find a cleanly welded boat if possible, and a dealer you think you can work with.
    'No Pain, No Palm; No Thorns, No Throne; No Gall, No Glory; No Cross, No Crown'

Ranger rt188 Camo/Mercury 115 Pro XS CT

10. Member
    I was on that fence back in October - went with the Ranger. Agonized for all reasons above but in the end I felt the extra length and padded hull might provide the better rough water ride. Rightly or wrongly, for my area I also gave future resale ease and value to Ranger. I've had it out a half dozen times and it's everything I'd hoped for. The Ultrex doesn't hurt either. I'm sure you'd be very happy with either.

11. Member
    Leaning towards the Ranger also.

12. Member
    Thanks Gatorglen.

13. Member
    Thanks.

14. Member
    Yes , I have heard about cracks and porpoising also. Sounds like the porpoise problem has been solved, but talked to a tournament angler recently,,, he is going fiberglass, also noted the Crestliner trailer was also a problem.

15. Member
    I like the idea of the “pad hull” also. I talked to the Minnkota rep at a local boat show last week, he is trying to talk me into the Ultrex, over the Fortrex. Not sure about the difference in. Pricing, but I think it is substantial. Thanks for the input.

16. Member
    I have a PT20. Couldn't be more dissatisfied. in that size why not look at xpress, vexus. but if you are stuck on this two i'd go ranger. if ranger has larger aluminum when i bough tmine i'd be runnning that. if vexus was out with their 20'er when i wanted to buy i would haev bought that as well. seen the 1980 vexus. much nicer than any of the other aluminum boats.

17. Member
    Hey there Gatorglen, Keep in touch on this site, maybe we can hit a few lakes next time you are down. What time of year do you visit ?

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
    I seen a tin ranger at a local dealer and the welding looked like a hen scratching and never quit. Transom area the top deck and sides were not even close to being tight so they took and just filled it with weld that looked just horrible. Every weld on that particular boat was just plain sad and I MEAN sad. I would look darn close at the welds on any aluminum Ranger boat I was buying.
    Sounds like you need your eyes checked there Son. Oh, and BTW try grammar check next time 'round....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

19. Member
    Ultrex, over the Fortrex. Not sure about the difference in. Pricing, but I think it is substantial. Thanks for the input.
    The Ultrex will be about 700 more than the Fortrex. I upgraded from a Fortrex. The Fortrex was good, but the Ultrex is on another Galaxy. It is THE BEST accessory I've purchase in 45 years of owning boats. 700 over the course of a boat loan is peanuts.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

One word - warranty. Ranger offers a lifetime hull warranty on the transom, internal ribs, external welds...etc. Unlike Crestliner that will send you braces for the dealer to weld. Ranger just replaces the entire boat.
    Last edited by j791; 03-26-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast