2001 Lowe Upgrades

Hey guys just learned the other day my wife and I are expecting twins! Down side is to afford daycare for three little ones I am selling my 2015 Triton 18TRX glass boat so we can cut costs. That being said I am lucky enough to have a backup boat as my old man and me have a 2001 Lowe 170se with a 40 Johnson. She’s pretty basic, but runs great and catches just as many fish as my fancy metal flaked covered Triton. An keeps me on the water till I am ready to upgrade...

This being said, I cannot stand the small front casting deck and will probably make an extension for this... I also want to add a recessed trolling motor tray rather than have the foot pedal laying on the deck... I was concerned about cutting the deck and finding out I weakened the integrity or cut a support beam... Any advice on this guys, boats in storage right now, so I can’t tackle this yet but interested in getting some ideas. Even on what materials or how to make extension to my front deck, I assume wood would not add too much weight... but who knows

2. Member
    congrats on the twins
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

3. Member
    Haha thanks brother, I think!! It will be fun, but my three yr old is pumped for fishing so I wanna keep him on the water as much as possible.

4. Member
    You will catch the same fish in the tin that you do in you glass boat. The older ones are smaller though so things are a little tighter but you will get to the fish just fine,

5. Member
    Oh I will be fine, I have been fishing out of this rig since I was in HS, so I am pretty used to the smaller rig. Just wanna add some creature comfort like the recessed tray and extending the deck a few feet. Have caught some hammers in this rig, not as flashy but my son will grow up fishing the same way I learned,

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Even on what materials or how to make extension to my front deck, I assume wood would not add too much weight... but who knows
    Metsfan, I built an extension to the rear deck on my deep V. I built it out of wood, using 2x2's for the frame and plywood for the top. I covered it in carpet to match the rest of the boat. I painted the 2x2's that were visible in matching color to the carpet. It looked very nice when completed, probably not to the extent that aluminum would have, but still very nice. It was an easy build and I am far from a master carpenter. I don't think you should have any problems and it will be a fun project to work on. Unfortunately, I can't post photos as I sold the boat last fall when I switched to a bass boat.

Congrats on the twins and I wish mom and babies all good health.

7. Member
    Awesome info Murph! I was thinking of using 2x2's for the frame as well! Thanks for the well wishes, we are pretty excited, well least I have come to terms with it by now hahaha,.

8. Member
    I added a rod locker and two storage lockers, to a G3. Used aluminum angle for the framing, riveted together with aluminum rivets. Used advantech for the decking, coated with thompsons, vinyl over it. The rest of the boat is vinyl. Also added a recessed tray. I did cut through a brace, I haven't noticed any issues. The way the metal tray screws in, it helps to solidify where i cut the brace.
    For aluminum, find a local weld shop/fabricator/ metal shop. They will usually have the best prices. The big box stores are WAY overpriced.
    For other ideas, look at tinboats.net, and make youtube your friend.

9. Member

10. Member
    How did you cut the Aluminum Angle pieces for the frame? Hack saw, miter etc....An what size aluminum did you use for the frame

11. Member
    1.5" x 1.5" angle, if I remember correctly. Cutting it, I used a reciprocating saw with a metal blade ( fine tooth).

12. Member
    Aluminum can be cut (carefully) on a carbide tipped blade chop saw. Welding is a little harder, I have cut and fitted everything together and had a local fabricator do the welding. All aluminum is much lighter than wood framing, important in a tin boat.

For the doors, look up R&R Fabrications in Texas or Fish On Fabrications in Georgia, surprisingly affordable.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=757384
    Last edited by Byrdmen; 02-15-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: spelling