Need your help on Chickamuaga or guntersville

Hey guys, making a trip down south in March,
    would you go to guntersville or chickamuaga?
    staying in an rv so I have to find a campground and ramp. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Do both. I don't think they are too far from each other. I did Chick a few years ago. Loved it.

3. Member
    Grasshopper Creek is mid lake Chickamauga and has a nice campground and ramp. Chester Frost and Harrison Bay are also nice campgrounds and both have ramps, they are closer to the lower end on Chickamauga.

Guntersville is only 60-90 minutes from there.

4. Member
    Depends what you want. Chick will be really crowded and fish really small. You'll catch a few real big ones but you'll have many hours without a bite.

Guntersville will produce more fish, and some good ones...but not Giants like chick. And it won't be as crowded.

Chick is just getting hammered, like Guntersville used, to by a million out of town folks. Bad news for the fishing at Chick but good for Guntersville ha.

Or do both!

If Guntersville isn't getting hammered anymore, I'd hate to see chick on a pretty Saturday...damn..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by smbass77 View Post
    Depends what you want. Chick will be really crowded and fish really small. You'll catch a few real big ones but you'll have many hours without a bite.

Guntersville will produce more fish, and some good ones...but not Giants like chick. And it won't be as crowded.

Chick is just getting hammered, like Guntersville used, to by a million out of town folks. Bad news for the fishing at Chick but good for Guntersville ha.

Or do both!
    Guntersville is not getting hammered or is less crowded, Huh ? Have you seen the tourney schedule for the next 2 months on Gville? Typical for it this time of year 3-4 tourneys every weekend.
    2018 Skeeter ZX 250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250
    Minn Kota 112 Ultrex Link
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12 and Elite Ti 9
    Dual PP Pro Series II
    Atlas Hydraulic JP

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass1090 View Post
    Grasshopper Creek is mid lake Chickamauga and has a nice campground and ramp. Chester Frost and Harrison Bay are also nice campgrounds and both have ramps, they are closer to the lower end on Chickamauga.

Guntersville is only 60-90 minutes from there.
    I think it will be easier to find an RV spot at Chester Frost or Harrison Bay, rather than Grasshopper. Grasshopper is more of a "permanent" RV area. If you are here for a week, do both. 2 or 3 days at Chick, and 2 or 3 days at Guntersville. Chattanooga, TN to Scottsboro, AL is no more than an hour.

8. Member
    Thanks for the help guys! Probably head to gville and then maybe over to Chick.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter185 View Post
    Guntersville is not getting hammered or is less crowded, Huh ? Have you seen the tourney schedule for the next 2 months on Gville? Typical for it this time of year 3-4 tourneys every weekend.
    Have you seen the insane amount of out of town folks coming to chick because they read about it on the internet? Out numbers any tournament!

You can camp on Nickajac at the Marion Co. Campground. You’re on the water. You’re halfway between the two lakes you mentioned. Same river. The TN river gorge is one of the prettiest places in America that time of year. Good fish too. Fun to fish the tail water below Nicajack dam .
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

11. Member
    Chickamauga is disgustingly crowded now. Most people aren’t catching much at all.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catjuggin View Post
    You can camp on Nickajac at the Marion Co. Campground. You’re on the water. You’re halfway between the two lakes you mentioned. Same river. The TN river gorge is one of the prettiest places in America that time of year. Good fish too. Fun to fish the tail water below Nicajack dam .
    This is exactly where I want to go. Gonna make it happen this year!!

13. Member
    I live about 1hr from each. Chick may be best lake in the world, but you still got to find them and catch them. They are not jumping in the boat and you need to be prepared to stand in line to fish and to be rocked back and forth if you go to Chick. Guntersville is more predicatable, easier to find grass, and will have less boat traffic. Your chances at a big fish aren't the same, but your consistency over 2 or 3 days at Guntersville will probably b better than at Chick. Good luck either way.

14. Derek McCullough
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter185 View Post
    Guntersville is a lot bigger than Chickamauga and handles the traffic much better. Chick is my home lake and lately I'd rather drive to Nickajack or Gville to avoid the traffic.

South Sauty Creek Resort on G'ville is a nice campground with a good restaurant, my family has owned a cabin down the street from it since the late 40's.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by derek81 View Post
    Guntersville is a lot bigger than Chickamauga and handles the traffic much better. Chick is my home lake and lately I'd rather drive to Nickajack or Gville to avoid the traffic.

I counted 28 boats in opposum creek saturday and didn't even make it around the last turn towards the back....sure there were more back there as I saw 2 come out from back there and said "heck with this, I'm outta here". It's kind of sad what's happened to Chick over the years. I miss the pre-2014 days when it was enjoyable to fish and produced way more numbers than it seems to these days.