Got a bigger trailer - need a bigger truck

We traded our 24 foot trailer for a 28 foot bunkhouse last week. One trip has convinced me that it is not safe to pull with my 5.0 liter F-150.

Shopping for a diesel F-250 begins this week.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

2. Member
    There are a lot of guys running around pulling decent sized loads with half tons thinking it does "okay." Once you tow with an HD truck you realize how wrong you were.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    What did you buy for a trailer? I have a 31 ft bunkhouse that weighs North of 7000lbs. I tow it with my RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi with no issues. I do use a 10,000lb rated Equalizer load leveling hitch. If you're not using a quality load leveling hitch get one before you buy another truck. If you just want a F250 then by all means buy one. You still need the good quality load leveling hitch

BTW - Before my RAM 1500 I had a RAM 2500 HD 4x4 with Hemi. My current 1500 tows my trailer with better stability, than the 2500. The sits lower and provides a level tow. Even with my hitch adjusted to its lowest point, with my 2500, the trailer still had an upward slant at the hitch
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

4. Member
    I tow a 34' Rockwood 2902WS dry weight 6902lbs with a 2016 GMC Sierra 4x4 CCSB 5.3/3:42, 10,000/1,000 E2 hitch with zero problems. If I believed everything I read about towing a RV on this site and other RV forums, I would need a Kenworth to tow a little Red Flyer wagon. I have only been towing travel trailers since 1971 so I could be a rookie. However if you want a 3/4 ton truck, that is reason enough to buy one.

5. Member
    Towed with 1/2 tons for 20 years .Bought a 2500 diesel last year.What a difference. Safer all around. Better mpg. exhaust brake is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by whatroads View Post
    What did you buy for a trailer?
    We bought a Jayco 28BHS. Its unloaded weight is 6,645.

I have an Eaz-lift 1,000 weight distributing hitch. The hitch will handle up to 1,400 pounds of tongue weight. The trailer dry tongue weight is 800 pounds.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Towed with 1/2 tons for 20 years .Bought a 2500 diesel last year.What a difference. Safer all around. Better mpg. exhaust brake is amazing.
    Yup!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I have both, still pull a lot with a 1/2ton with no issues when I am too lazy to get the diesel out. Properly equipped and some common sense goes a long way. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I tow a 34' Rockwood 2902WS dry weight 6902lbs with a 2016 GMC Sierra 4x4 CCSB 5.3/3:42, 10,000/1,000 E2 hitch with zero problems. If I believed everything I read about towing a RV on this site and other RV forums, I would need a Kenworth to tow a little Red Flyer wagon. I have only been towing travel trailers since 1971 so I could be a rookie. However if you want a 3/4 ton truck, that is reason enough to buy one.
    I'm looking at getting (possibly) a 2019 Silverado 5.3/3.42 to tow a 6k trailer. Currently use a 2500 diesel, which is like nothing is back there.

10. Member
    I had a 08, F-150 with a 5.4 Triton that I towed my 28' bunkhouse out west and around MI with. Just bought a F-350 with the diesel and am amazed at the power. Looking to sell the bunkhouse and get the same length 5th wheel so I can tandem the boat behind the 5th wheel. Only reason I bought the diesel.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    We bought a Jayco 28BHS. Its unloaded weight is 6,645.

I have an Eaz-lift 1,000 weight distributing hitch. The hitch will handle up to 1,400 pounds of tongue weight. The trailer dry tongue weight is 800 pounds.
    No reason you can't pull that with a 1/2 ton but if you just want a bigger truck then go for it. I tried and tried to talk myself into a 3/4 diesel last summer when I got a new truck but I just couldn't do it. I pull a camper that weighs about 6,000-6,300 loaded less than 10 times a year and a Triton TR-19 when I go fishing. I went with a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost this time and it's got plenty of power for my pulling needs. Plus it has engine braking in tow/haul mode, built in brake controller, and the max tow package. I'm going to pull my camper to Gatlinburg this summer from Central Arkansas. We shall see how it does but I don't anticipate any issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    No reason you can't pull that with a 1/2 ton but if you just want a bigger truck then go for it. I tried and tried to talk myself into a 3/4 diesel last summer when I got a new truck but I just couldn't do it. I pull a camper that weighs about 6,000-6,300 loaded less than 10 times a year and a Triton TR-19 when I go fishing. I went with a F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost this time and it's got plenty of power for my pulling needs. Plus it has engine braking in tow/haul mode, built in brake controller, and the max tow package. I'm going to pull my camper to Gatlinburg this summer from Central Arkansas. We shall see how it does but I don't anticipate any issues at all.
    We bought a 2019 F-250 with a 6.7 liter diesel last Friday. I won't get to pull the travel trailer for a couple of weeks but I am looking forward to pulling the boat over to Apalachicola this weekend for a club tournament.

I am glad you feel comfortable pulling with a 1/2 ton but the trip to Palatka a couple of weeks ago was a white knuckler any time we were on the Interstate. Even with the weight distributing hitch and the sway control I was getting pushed all over the road when semis passed. Even the air from an SUV would push us around.

13. Member
    No towing for the first 1000 miles on that model I think. Only saying that because it could affect your warranty.

14. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Congrats on the new truck and trailer combo!!!!!
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

That's a sneaky way to get a new truck

Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    That's a sneaky way to get a new truck
    It's a better way than the last one. I had just bought my first fiberglass bass boat and my six cylinder Ranger pickup truck was doing all it could to pull it.

On my way to work one day a guy ran a red light and totaled the truck. That was an undeniable reason to get a full sized truck.

The F250 is so tall that I had to set my weight distributing hitch as low as it would go.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    We traded our 24 foot trailer for a 28 foot bunkhouse last week. One trip has convinced me that it is not safe to pull with my 5.0 liter F-150.

Shopping for a diesel F-250 begins this week.
    You don’t need a bigger truck just a more powerful one. Get a 6.2L Sierra or Silverado.

18. Banned
    Weight distributing hitches are not all created equal. The Hensley and the Blue Ox are heads above the rest of the generic weight distributing hitches in quality and cost. But the heavy trucks don't blow you around (and scare the life out of you) when they pass you.

Sometimes it's worth paying the big bucks for the right hitch versus mortgaging the soul of your first born son to purchase a 3/4 ton truck that's now very overly expensive. It all gets down to how many miles you're going to be driving and how demanding the topography is where you camp.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Junkie View Post
    Be sure to give us a trip report when you get back. I've found that short trips with the camper and a 1/2 ton aren't bad. However the longer the tow the more the big truck shines. I'm also still skeptical of the turbo engines.