Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chance of a double-digit bass in Ohio

This should make for good discussion.
    If your goal was to catch a Double-digit bass from "PUBLIC OHIO WATER", where would you begin your search?
    What body of water, time of year would you begin your quest?
    What do you think the realistic chance of accomplishing this goal is from public waters?

2. Banned
    Clearfork or rocky fork would be my to guess . Best time to go would be spring I’d say . Chances are still pretty slim tho

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hart View Post
    Clearfork or rocky fork would be my to guess . Best time to go would be spring I’d say . Chances are still pretty slim tho
    Clearfork is definitely in my top 3 choices also.
    Hopefully the weeds are back this spring

4. Member
    Caesar’s creek. I know of three over 9 that came there. I had one over 7 last year. Two of the 9’s were early on a Jerkbaits. 10 lbs is quite a feat though . Acton lake also has some pigs. Slip some drag when you get there

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 BASS ASSASIN View Post
    Caesar’s creek. I know of three over 9 that came there. I had one over 7 last year. Two of the 9’s were early on a Jerkbaits. 10 lbs is quite a feat though . Acton lake also has some pigs. Slip some drag when you get there
    Thanks for the information.
    I will definitely research those lakes.
    I have caught a few fish that passed the 7# Mark and 1 over 8 from public waters. I really want a chance at a 10 just not confident that Ohio holds that many in its public waters.

6. Member
    AEP

7. Member
    +1 AEP

AEP

9. Member
    AEP would be my choice as well. Definitely offers the best chance, though it is still very slim. You would have to start right after ice out for your best chance. Late Feb-March.

10. Member
    Clear Fork or possibly Wolf Run.
    Speaking of Clear Fork....what happened to the weeds in there?

11. Member
    Caesars, Clear Fork, Alum, Rocky... I think they all have potential.

Flippin they sprayed a couple years ago to control an algae bloom and it's made it tougher. Had some magical days there in the past.

12. Member
    AEP. A 10.2 lb, 25”+ bass was caught there a few years ago. Solomon Curtis was the guy’s name. The group I fish with will measure length there rather than weight from our float tubes. My biggest at AEP was over 23”. I watched a friend land a 24” beast, and the largest landed among our group is in the 24.5” range. My largest bass come when I’m at AEP in my float tube, not when I’m on my boat.

13. Member
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    It seems like we are all thinking the same on choices of water and time of year. I am really wanting to make this a quest of mine but I'm not sure that it is a achievable/ realistic goal in Ohio

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwwildcat View Post

Flippin they sprayed a couple years ago to control an algae bloom and it's made it tougher. Had some magical days there in the past.
    Gotcha...thanks for the info. We made a trip up there early last year and was surprised at how little weed cover was left in the lake. The trips prior to that there were plenty of weeds and the fishing was great....not so much on the last trip.

15. Member
    City of Mansfield sprayed clearfork res for weeds from what I was told true or not, heard dnr is involved now . But who knows

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    Gotcha...thanks for the info. We made a trip up there early last year and was surprised at how little weed cover was left in the lake. The trips prior to that there were plenty of weeds and the fishing was great....not so much on the last trip.
    Same thing happened to a buddy and I. We cracked like 24lbs there one day a couple years ago and made a special trip up there last year and was shocked at how little weeds. I've heard you can still catch the bigs it just isn't the same.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin 416 View Post
    Don't you need to keep a boat and actually GO fishing for the opportunity at a 10+ lb fish Mike??
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCASTER! View Post
    Don't you need to keep a boat and actually GO fishing for the opportunity at a 10+ lb fish Mike??
    I suppose...I have a guide booked for the end of next month on Okeechobee so the boat part is "sort of" required.
    Besides...when the Z-9 is gone I will still have a boat!

19. Member
    Uhhh....how?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterCASTER! View Post
    Uhhh....how?
    I have a small tin rig project waiting on me...just something to go screw around in when I have time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast