Used boat good tires

I have to smile and yes I should have noticed this before now. I bought a 2011 Skeeter FX. I remember in the description (good tire tread). Well I focused on the boat and trailer and really didn't look at the tires after al the tread looked great. I ran through the boat and trailer with a fine tooth comb. It was a great used boat in fact looked new except for the normal wear you would expect.

So I bought it in March 2018 and fished about every weekend until I put it away mid November. I put a lot of miles on it this summer.

So I am heading on a 600 miles round trip the end of February and I finally checked the tires in detail. Lol. Two on the left side where Chinese Goodyears built 21/10. That makes them over 8 years old. I had two different brands on the right side. Carlisle built 34/12 and a Maxxis built 22/15. The spare was a Carlisle built 22/17.

What I never noticed the two Goodyear where well worn no tread on the inside.

The Carlisle looked brand new. The Maxxis was decent.

For the life of me I can't figure out why there were 4 different tires and I knew I was looking at the good tires and just never gave it a thought to take a hard look at the tires.

Well today we put 4 new ones on and since since the spare was good we kept it.

So the moral is good tread on a used boat means get down and read the dates.

Lol I'm really feeling lucky that I made the the year on the two old tires

Another thought these where Chinese tires and nothing went boom, in fact I give them credit for making 8 years.

If your asking I bought the Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires. I run them on the other trailers I have with no problems and they are abused. Another option would have been the new Goodyear tires but they rate no better than the little less expense Carlisle Radial Trail HD.

Both the old Carlisle and Goodyear did not have a great reputation.

2. Member
    indeed, tread on a boat tire means nothing. Your experience shows that each of our experiences can be different. I replace my tires every 3 regardless of brand. Pushing for another year or two not worth the risk to me personally. changing a tire on side of I75 not much fun
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    I too elected to go with the new Carlisle HD and have had absolutely no trouble out of them. I based my decision on seeing how popular they were with the camper folks, lots of positive reviews.

4. Member
    You are absolutely correct that tread depth should not be used as a guide. After my second blowout, complete with fender damage, running Chinese made Carlilse's, I dug into the issue when you should replace ST trailer tires. Both of my two separate blowouts occurred on tires that were right at the 3 year mark of manufacture with over half of the tread life left on them. I contacted my boat/trailer manufacture (Ranger) and had a discussion with their trailer department when to change ST rated tires. According to the the person i talked to, boat trailer ST tires will loose their sidewall strength by about half in 3 to 4 years tops. He said the sidewall is the weakest link of a boat trailer ST tire. Tread depth should not be used as the indicator of when to change them out but the date of manufacture should be used. He said he had just got back from attending a workshop put on by the National Tire Manufactures Association in Florida where they discussed this specific issue at length. He also clarified his comments by saying that if my towing distance to the ramp was relatively a short one, he would probably run them longer. But my shortest distance to a lake is a 1hr 15 minute trip towing at interstate speeds here in Texas. So my tires really get warm according to the TPMS I use.

To be fare, both of the Carlilse trailer tire blowouts that I experienced were caused by internal belt separation (poor workmanship) and not sidewall failure. I am running the US made Goodyear Endurance on my trailer now, but intend to change them out when they reach the 4 year mark regardless of tread depth.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    You are absolutely correct that tread depth should not be used as a guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    indeed, tread on a boat tire means nothing.
    I agree with you all on the topic of determining tire life, though pros might need to watch tread wear. I think checking tread depth on a tire is still worthwhile. It can be the first indication of axle, spindle or other alignment issues if it isn't uniform across the tire or even brake or spring issues if some of the tires are wearing at a different rate.

Maybe OCD, but I've been through the axle replacement thing and blowouts along the interstate. I'd rather find out I have a problem in my shop in February while drinking a beer or cup of coffee with the heater running than March or April alongside the road somewhere.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​