Water pressure gauge

Well I got me a new boat with a Yamaha 250 SHO . Has a water pressure gauge does not work. It did decide to work 1 time about 20 minutes . Now no more don't want to take it back to dealer and leave it a week are so to fix.I know it has to be something simple so where do I start?
    Thanks Tony
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

2. Member
    Pull the hose off the back of the guage and at the other end where it attaches to the motor. Couple shots of air and it should blow out whatever gunk is clogge in there. If that isn't it the gauge is likely bad.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Pull the hose off the back of the guage and at the other end where it attaches to the motor. Couple shots of air and it should blow out whatever gunk is clogge in there. If that isn't it the gauge is likely bad.

Where does it plug in to the motor?
    LIFE IS GOOD

I have gone thru 2 new gauges on their WP thing. New gauge, new tubing, etc. I have the new fitting at the back of the motor ( where the $100 digital piece goes ). Doesn't make any difference. Shows very little, if any, WP at idle and not much running. Don't waste your time & money throwing gauges in there. I have mine set up on my HDS to monitor the motor but not the $100 thingy. My engine temp shows 118 to 120 constantly & the telltale is fine, so I just said the hell with it. One day I guess I will bend a little & get the $100 thingy. Yamaha is proud of that & everything else for this motor, including the muffs. But I do like the motor.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    Where does it plug in to the motor?
    Rear of engine center near the bottom, you will see the rubber hose for the water pressure gauge. As indicated by poster #3, the Yamaha electronic water pressure sending transducer would go in this location. Hope this helps.
    2015 Ranger Z520C Yamaha 250

Here is a pic of where it goes. This plug is from Simyamaha, about $16. For that price it should have been gold plated.

IMG_0182.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Disregard the other 2 pics, have no idea how I did that, but not surprised. However, the second pic is a good shot of it. That pic was courtesy of another forum member, droppo.

8. Member
    Found the problem . A kinked hose under the dash
    LIFE IS GOOD

9. Member
    Nice to sort out a problem with a simple solution, especially when the fix is free! That doesn't happen often with boats!!

No kink in my hose & it still isn't worth a darn. Glad you fixed yours though. I gave up on mine.

11. Member
    Check for debris in the front nose of the gear case. There should be a small whole there. Get a small drill bit and by HAND stick in the hole and check to see if its clear.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    No kink in my hose & it still isn't worth a darn. Glad you fixed yours though. I gave up on mine.
    I installed a manual gauge in mine. The electric gauge is still there. It’s steadily getting worse. The manual and the psi transducer are on the same line. Transducers especially cheaper don’t hold up very well. Mine worked when new but wasn’t accurate.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Check for debris in the front nose of the gear case. There should be a small whole there. Get a small drill bit and by HAND stick in the hole and check to see if its clear.
    Thought that was the speedometer

14. Member
    Mine has splice about 6 in before it attaches to Gage. Take line apart run down lake see if water comes out, may be a kink in hose.

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Thought that was the speedometer
    It is

16. Member
    My hose on my 2014 went to the gauge. This one on the 21019 went to a sending unit that wired to the gauge. electric gauge runs off manual pressure
    LIFE IS GOOD

Mine is connected at the rear ( see pic) with the Yamaha fitting (the gold plated one) with a new tubing. You can blow through it with an air compressor and nothing changes. It is then connected to a new Faria gauge. My old triton gauge did just as well, so I guess I spent $50 bucks for the gauge & $17 for the fitting just for the hell of it. I have talked to a Yamaha tech ( at Yamaha) not a dealer mechanic. His advice, " as long as it's peeing & not getting hot, don't worry about it". Wonder if Yamaha will warranty it from his expert expertise???? Yeah, right.