Crooked jackplate

20190206_121029.jpg
    I've had problems with my motor falling off my motor mate. Looked at it and noticed the motor looks crooked. Inspected my jackplate, and found that it is flush on one side and 1/8" lower on the other. Do you think this is affecting anything?

2. Member
    Too many possible issues. Is this a BCB? If so, then the question is whether the motor is mounted level or not. Lay a flat straight-edge across the back of the boat. If it is not level, use a floor jack to level the thing. Then lay that level across the jackplate. Is it level? If so, use a level on a straight vertical line on the motor to see if it is exactly vertical. If all are ok, you just have one of the occasional crooked jackplates that crop up from time to time. There are other ways to check, as in finding the exact center of the running pad, then from directly behind the boat see if the skeg exactly hits that centerline.

If it is not a BCB, I have seen a couple of boats where the splash well was not exactly level, making the jackplate look like it was off when it was fine. But you won't see that on a BCB. Unless it is an older one where someone had some transom work done and it was not re-drilled square.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Member
    If this is a new boat my suggestion is take it to your dealer. I had the same issue with a new Skeeter. I called the dealer and they wanted to see it ASAP. They confirmed it was mounted crooked. After a short back and forth with Skeeter customer service they ended up replacing my boat. At first they wanted to unmount the jackplate, fill the holes and redrill/mount the jackplate. I found that unacceptable for a new boat that costs so much. I stood firm, my dealer actually agreed with me and Skeeter came through. Good luck.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 02-09-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    It could be the transom upper trim was installed slightly crooked. I don't see where that would affect your motor mate coming loose, as its attached to the engine itself.
    Possibly trim motor is bleeding down.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Even if it were crooked, you wouldn’t notice anything unusual.

There is a lot to determining if it is crooked and that requires plum bobbing the center line, squaring the pad and aligning the plate with the pad. The transom has no effect on the actual pad. The contact point to the water is not the transom.

BCB

6. Member
    The boat is a 2015 Puma FTD. Just from the naked eye the motor looks crooked from the back.

It’s not able to be seen with the eye.

If your Motor Mate is falling off your engine then you should have your trim pump and motor mounts checked.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS723 View Post
    The boat is a 2015 Puma FTD. Just from the naked eye the motor looks crooked from the back.
    Pictures would help a great deal with this statement.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

Puma Dave is right in that the pressure is coming off for some reason.