Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice on purchase of a 1998 Champion 186 DC Tournament

Hi all! New to this site, glad I found it.
    I'm looking at buying a Champion 1998 DC Tournament that is really clean, looks brand new this guy was very particular with its care, garage kept year round.
    It has the original 150 EFI Merc with 250 hours on it. All original electronics and trolling motor, essentially no upgrades to the boat.
    He's asking $11,500. Just sounds a little high to me. Any advice on a purchase price I should be targeting? Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome!! Glad you found us!!

Not sure on price...hoping for more input, but meanwhile NADA Guides should give you a ball park. But the 186 is a really fun model. Small enuf for smaller waters and tight river curves, yet handles big water extremely well.

Hope you get the boat! Keep us posted....

3. Banned
    I have that same boat in 1997 model. Mine came with a brand new motorguide and brand new electronics.
    I paid $1,000 less than the one you listed. Bought it 5-6 years ago.
    You would love that boat. It’s a blast to drive. I’m getting 66 gps with my 175.

Hope this helps

4. Member
    Lea. Good to know about the river fishing, I'm not too far from the Mississippi...heard there can be some fun fishing around there.
    NADA has it listed for $8900. When I upgrade electronics probably going to be $2000 for the decent new stuff. I have an overall top budget all in $15,000.

5. Member
    Thanks for the input Tom.
    Excited to hopefully buy a Champion I know they are great boats!!

6. Banned
    That might be a little high, but if it’s in mint condition & taken care that means something to a buyer. Make sure there’s no brown streaks on the transom and tap on the transom to make sure it sounds solid & not hollow.

7. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    You pay for value- a 1,000 or 2,000 over for a good clean boat is acceptable to me... Get the boat checked out at GOOD Marine(check reviews) and do the legwork and sit on it a day and make your decision with cash in hand.

8. Member
    GS, What would a hollow sound mean? Thanks again to all the advice.......this site rocks!!

This is my first bass boat purchase, and I intend to use it to fish with my old man who's boat is a run down 84 Astroglass......time for me to return the favor.

9. Banned
    Any boats transom can become rotten (hollow) if the silicone/caulk seal gave away and leaked into the transom. Tie downs, jackplate bolts, any through hull fittings, transducer screw holes...all those things that can let water into the hull/transom. Brown streaks are a sign that wood has started to rot and the water is coming out of that area.

10. Member
    That is a carbon copy of my 186. I have a 2002 150 efi. Run a 25M prop @ 5500rpm 53-56 mph. Did reach 60 by myself with 1/4 tank gas. Also have manual 6" jackplate. I paid $9700 back in 2015 with 50 hours on motor. Hardly a scratch when bought. It handles KY lake, St Clair with no problem. It is a very nimble, fast and fun boat to drive. Only thing lacking is rear storage. Also has 41 gal gas tank which I like. You will love it.

Nice rig. There's some wiggle room there.

12. Banned
    Have you seen this boat in person? No state registration numbers usually means it’s a scam, be cautious if you have not seen it in person.

13. Member
    Yup no registration numbers makes you wonder.... Is this boat local to you or did you find this on craigs list?
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

14. Member
    Good point on the lack of registration stickers guys.
    I talked to the guy for like 30 minutes on the phone Friday night and he seemed legit.
    I also asked him to text me the plate on the outboard so I check the serial number and he did like in 5 minutes, plus the pic of his garage matches the pic on Facebook Marketplace. See attached pics. BCC detectives on the case!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Banned
    Good deal, just don’t want to see anyone get burnt. There was a thread in another section here a few weeks ago, where a guy paid
    for a boat over the net and it was a scam. Out all the money...

Thats a good looking boat.

16. Member
    That’s about the going rate for a clean 186/187 with 150hp. With 175hp & upgrades I’ve seen them 13-15k

17. Member
    No paying over the internet here. Ill call and ask about the lack of registration identification. I would also line up a in person visit and bring it to a mechanic and have it looked over. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

18. Member
    Thanks for the info STLBassBuster. I assume you've fished Lake of the Ozarks, would this length be on on the Ozarks? Or should I look bigger? I will hopefully be buying a lake house down there in a few years.

19. Banned
    My boat is fine for LOZ in winter time. When you get into summer you’ll need to fish very early am or overnight. The big boats will eat it up. I’ve had no issues yet

There's NO bass boat big enough for LOZ. 18'6 can do it but a 20 footer would be better. 22 ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast