Electrical sanity check please

I've been working with C & O Marine to replace all the switches on my 168. A big shout out to them for all their help (Thanks Angelica). I've come to the conclusion that the Charge switch in the bow is no longer available, so I am going to switch the system over to 24v full time. The wiring is already in place. So, I just want to make sure I am not over looking anything. My plan is to use one pair of wires & connect them to the trolling motor plug (which pins have yet to be determined). At the batteries, run the positive through an appropriately sized breaker up to the bow. A jumper to connect the batteries in series. My question is do I need a fuse on the jumper? Also, if I install an onboard charger, do I need to disconnect the batteries to charge them?

2. Member
    Positive wire from trolling motor plug outlet on bow to 60amp breaker then to battery. You can charge the batteries hooked up no problem but a good idea to either unplug the trolling motor at the bow or get a breaker that you can manually turn off while charging

3. Member
    This my 24V system in my 2006 198. I do not use a fuse on the jumper, and it has been like that for 10 years, no problems. You do not need to disconnect your batteries from series to charge them. Just hookup each battery as if they were separate. If using a motor guide I think 40 amps is good. If minnkota I think it's 60 amps.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. Member
    Ed, I have 6 awg and my TM is a Motorguide, albeit an older model. Thanks Ed & JB for setting me straight!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb7725 View Post
    Positive wire from trolling motor plug outlet on bow to 60amp breaker then to battery. You can charge the batteries hooked up no problem but a good idea to either unplug the trolling motor at the bow or get a breaker that you can manually turn off while charging

I forgot to add that part. It is a sound practice!
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax