Ultrex... Bad choice?

Took a boat for a test drive, had the 36 volt Ultrex. The gentleman I’m buying from had purchased it new at BPS in April 18. He had used it 3 times with no issues. We put it in the water so he could show me all the features. Everything worked except the trolling motor it’s self. If I moved the pedal back and forth it would run but was very “jerky” and very little power. Put it on trailer and went to his house. Put meter on batteries and all was good. He has it at a repair shop BPS told him to take it to. Haven’t heard what’s wrong with it yet, just wondering what y’all think about this Ultrex in general. I have a Fortrex as a spare. Thinking I should just stick with this and power poles, any ideas what’s going on with this motor? Is it with the money versed the headache?

2. Member
    I am in the same boat here . I bought an ultrex a little over a year ago and it has been in the shop three times now . I will be picking it back up Monday . I have never fished with poles so I can't comment on them . I do like to fish deeper water than any of the current poles and the ultrex is great for that . I have only used spot lock so far I can't imagine not having it now. I don't have the link one so I can't use the other features like contour following . I think the jerky steering you mentioned is just your foot not being used to the different type of steering . It took a couple outings to familiarize my foot to the electric steering also .

I have had two boats w\ith an Ultrex and both have been flawless
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

4. Member
    My Ultrex has been great, never have a boat without it. Appears he just has a bad unit.
    Sean Fullerton

~~2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited~~
    Yamaha SHO 250
    Helix 12
    Mega 360
    MegaLive
    Raptors

https://www.youtube.com/ruggedoutdoors

5. Member
    It happens with everything a flaw here and there , The Ultrex Love it best thing going once you get use to it then throw your Fortex back on and use that for a while , you'll see the big difference .. Like anything they break but can be fixed , A fish finder breaks and like most can't be repaired .

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    It happens with everything a flaw here and there , The Ultrex Love it best thing going once you get use to it then throw your Fortex back on and use that for a while , you'll see the big difference .. Like anything they break but can be fixed , A fish finder breaks and like most can't be repaired .
    +1

7. Member
    Sounds like how mine was acting. Had to have the lower unit replaced due to water intrusion. Didn’t realize how spoiled I’d gotten with the ultrex till I had to fish without it while it was gettin fixed.

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Had mine for a year and haven't had any issues.......love it....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinBrian View Post
    Took a boat for a test drive, had the 36 volt Ultrex. The gentleman I’m buying from had purchased it new at BPS in April 18. He had used it 3 times with no issues. We put it in the water so he could show me all the features. Everything worked except the trolling motor it’s self. If I moved the pedal back and forth it would run but was very “jerky” and very little power. Put it on trailer and went to his house. Put meter on batteries and all was good. He has it at a repair shop BPS told him to take it to. Haven’t heard what’s wrong with it yet, just wondering what y’all think about this Ultrex in general. I have a Fortrex as a spare. Thinking I should just stick with this and power poles, any ideas what’s going on with this motor? Is it with the money versed the headache?
    No surprise there, lots of issues with these ultrex's just have a read on this forum issues popping up daily. In saying that, I'm sure it will get fixed. That wouldn't affect the purchase of the boat for me unless there's an electrical issue or straight up don't like the boat. Make sure that as the new owner you still get the warranty on the ultrex and keep the fortrex, it may save a fishing trip for you. Good luck with purchase.

10. Banned
    New Ultrex for me next year,............ but I'm keeping my old Maxxum as a spare.

11. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Just got my ultrex mounted and used it for the first time on Saturday. It felt a little jerky to me as well when compared to the Fortrexx it replaced. Believe I have the sensor thing done correctly and tried the spot lock and seemed to move a round a bunch to me. This was on a pretty windy day on a lake with no current other than the wind. Hopefully can take it out on our local river Saturday and see how it does in the current. Brand new 112 non link I-pilot.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Billy View Post
    Just got my ultrex mounted and used it for the first time on Saturday. It felt a little jerky to me as well when compared to the Fortrexx it replaced. Believe I have the sensor thing done correctly and tried the spot lock and seemed to move a round a bunch to me. This was on a pretty windy day on a lake with no current other than the wind. Hopefully can take it out on our local river Saturday and see how it does in the current. Brand new 112 non link I-pilot.
    The footpedal is going to feel that way until you get used to it. Remember, the motor is moving the footpedal, not the footpedal moving the motor. The motor is being moved by a pressure sensor under the footpedal and you have to get use to the sensor. Also, if the motor is moving a lot due to wind, you may want to check/set the boat scale from the remote.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinBrian View Post
    I would say it may have been "self installed", or installed by someone that didn't know to check bolts, and bolts were not checked for tightness. Yes, I know they should be tight when they leave MinnKota, and may have been -- but jarring/dropping during shipment could have, or will, loosened some. It sounds like it may have water in the lower unit, which will be fixed, dried, and resealed -- then the motor will be good to go.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The footpedal is going to feel that way until you get used to it. Remember, the motor is moving the footpedal, not the footpedal moving the motor. The motor is being moved by a pressure sensor under the footpedal and you have to get use to the sensor. Also, if the motor is moving a lot due to wind, you may want to check/set the boat scale from the remote.
    John

Thanks John. may have missed the part about the scale on the remote. I will check that this weekend.