Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fish movement on the Kissimee Chain

I am making a trip to Camp Mack late spring. Watching the FLW and was reading that most all are locking into Kissimee, interesting in its own right as it seemed most of the BPT was fishing Toho. Anyway, with all those bass being transplanted to Toho would I be better off to target Toho or Kissimee in the May time frame? Do they have a passage at the Toho lock for the fish to pass to get back to Kissimee?

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    I am making a trip to Camp Mack late spring. Watching the FLW and was reading that most all are locking into Kissimee, interesting in its own right as it seemed most of the BPT was fishing Toho. Anyway, with all those bass being transplanted to Toho would I be better off to target Toho or Kissimee in the May time frame? Do they have a passage at the Toho lock for the fish to pass to get back to Kissimee?
    i would say at least 1/2 of the field in BPT was below Toho. Also no there is no way for the fish to get back down unless they go through the lock. This is very normal for a Toho tournament for the majority to run out of Toho to fish. When Toho is on it can win but when Kissimmee is biting it will win.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    They’re running to Kissimmee because it’s on right now! I need to get my butt over there and fish the place myself. Kissimmee has been giving up really good fish for a few years now and Toho has gone down from 10 years ago. There’s only 1 lock on the south end of Toho and it opens regularly.

Since you’re staying at Camp Mack you’re much closer to Kissimmee and an easier run with no lock to go through. In May the Frog/topwater bite should be really good and Kissimmee has plenty of secluded places to find fish. If you want to fish Toho one day it’s not like the lake is dead, I love the place.

Since theyre not spraying now, a lot can happen between now and May!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    Both lakes are giving up giant fish. Cox got his in Toho, and to answer your question the bass are released by the weigh boat on Toho.
    I'll be on the chain rubbing elbows with them tomorrow

6. Banned
    Fish movement on the kiss chain is very erratic because every tom dick and hairy from up north comes down here and beats up on them! ( Including FLW / MLF ect )

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Fish movement on the kiss chain is very erratic because every tom dick and hairy from up north comes down here and beats up on them! ( Including FLW / MLF ect )
    It does not help when they come down and keep every bass they catch.

8. Member
    I will be putting in out of camp mack tomorrow on Sunday.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

9. Member
    Between the FLW and the Kissimee chain and the St Johns on BASS you guys got heck of a fishery going on. Wish I could do more than once a year

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    Between the FLW and the Kissimee chain and the St Johns on BASS you guys got heck of a fishery going on. Wish I could do more than once a year
    I thought the lakes were dead with all of the spraying...apparently not.

11. Member
    Toho had a lot more Hydrilla and pepper grass then I thought it would. Water was really clean as well. That big topped out hydrilla mat that Buddy was fishing is offshore from Whaley's landing area. Huge mat. Also good around south side of Browns point.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitFL View Post
    If you knew anything about movements and the spawn then you would know this time of year the fish go to the bank and are easy to locate. Guarantee you wouldn't see these #'s outside of the spawn, they would be lucky to catch them at all with no vegetation to position them. I would like to see a good fishery year round, not just 5 weeks in the early spring!!!!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaitFL View Post
    Dont start again with your crap, these lakes should be producing much better than they do, just this time of year all the fish are up shallow and easier to catch. I guess you didnt listen to Peter T during the FLW livecast, he grew up here and fished professionally his whole life, hit the nail on the head on what has been happening here since the FWC turned over all spraying to a private company. He also mentioned on how the Big O is totally nuked. Everyone of these pro's caught their fish in the only remaining hydrilla left, if it where up to people like you that would be eliminated. Go find another job and quit destroying our lakes.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknemo View Post
    Dont start again with your crap, these lakes should be producing much better than they do, just this time of year all the fish are up shallow and easier to catch. I guess you didnt listen to Peter T during the FLW livecast, he grew up here and fished professionally his whole life, hit the nail on the head on what has been happening here since the FWC turned over all spraying to a private company. He also mentioned on how the Big O is totally nuked. Everyone of these pro's caught their fish in the only remaining hydrilla left, if it where up to people like you that would be eliminated. Go find another job and quit destroying our lakes.
    X1000 Thanks for saying it

15. Member
    So what you're saying is these large fish miraculously appear in the spring?! That's amazing considering what FWC and cooperators have been managing these lakes for YEARS! So why is it the anglers that fish these tournaments and reside outside of Florida seem to be able to catch them? Native plants do exist and do have value, as much as you deny it.
    It's also amazing that the native plants (what little are left per your observations) provide habitat for these fish. Apparently some type of habitat is available or they wouldn't have grown to these sizes.
    FWC hasn't turned the spraying over to anyone. They WORK with the cooperators to identify areas to manage and explain what, how, when and where to do it. Considering the rapid increase in Florida's population, subsequent nutrient inputs to these systems, and amazing fishing pressure (i.e., bass tournaments) how much better can these lakes be? Statistically (that's what people do to test things to provide comparisons between things) speaking the bass populations in Florida lakes are doing pretty well. But you've already said you don't trust the data as you think these stupid, underpaid biologists (your words) would take the time to manipulate the fisheries data to make it look good?! Give me a break!
    I understand the spraying fits your agenda right now with the misinformed information about glyphosate, the nutrient crisis in south Florida (including Lake O) and the red tide, but you need to educate yourself a little better and stop believing what you read on social media and hear at the fishing club.

16. Member
    50% of the Kissimmee Grass is gone on Lake Kissimmee due to an non indigenous snail as compared to five years ago. Most of the Hydrilla is gone and any type of canopy cover is hunted down and sprayed to death. Lake Kissimmee will crash eventually.

St John's River south of Lake George is essentially dead due to no eel grass. It's already crashed.

The lack of eel grass on Lake George and upper St. John's has the fished bunched up in what little spawning cover is left. The fishing pressure will ultimately lead it to crash.

Okeechobee has lost at least 40% of its grass in the last ten years. It fishes REAL SMALL.

The only chain that is somewhat healthy is the Harris Chain and that is only if they control the hydrilla instead of trying to totally eradicate it. Lake Toho is in the same boat as Harris chain.

These tournament results are deceiving and hiding the real truth.
    Last edited by Whiteboat; 02-11-2019 at 08:06 PM.

17. Member
    Don't even try arguing with this guy, he is a paid hack. A few guys catch a couple of decent fish in what should be the best fishery in the country and he thinks the state is doing a fantastic job, he doesn't count the vast majority of these pro's who struggled catching anything thru the whole tournament.

18. Member
    Not exactly stellar numbers from the best bass fisherman on the planet fishing hard all day in what was once the best fishery in Florida, a 1.28lb average.

Jan 29, 2019 - Feb 3, 2019

Championship Round

Qualified Angler Total Weight Total # Fish Avg Weight Largest Fish
    1st Jordan Lee 55 - 01 26 2 - 02 4 - 11
    2nd Edwin Evers 44 - 03 28 1 - 09 3 - 09
    3rd Jared Lintner 33 - 09 19 1 - 12 5 - 05
    4th Anthony Gagliardi 24 - 05 15 1 - 10 2 - 12
    5th Alton Jones Jr. 23 - 03 13 1 - 12 3 - 04
    6th Randy Howell 22 - 02 14 1 - 09 4 - 02
    7th Michael Neal 21 - 08 11 1 - 15 3 - 14
    8th Jeff Sprague 18 - 09 14 1 - 05 1 - 13
    9th Dustin Connell 14 - 12 7 2 - 02 4 - 00
    10th Takahiro Omori 12 - 11 9 1 - 07 3 - 09

19. Member
    Not exactly stellar numbers from the best bass fisherman on the planet fishing hard all day in what was once the best fishery in Florida, a 1.28lb average.

Jan 29, 2019 - Feb 3, 2019

Championship Round

Qualified Angler Total Weight Total # Fish Avg Weight Largest Fish
    1st Jordan Lee 55 - 01 26 2 - 02 4 - 11
    2nd Edwin Evers 44 - 03 28 1 - 09 3 - 09
    3rd Jared Lintner 33 - 09 19 1 - 12 5 - 05
    4th Anthony Gagliardi 24 - 05 15 1 - 10 2 - 12
    5th Alton Jones Jr. 23 - 03 13 1 - 12 3 - 04
    6th Randy Howell 22 - 02 14 1 - 09 4 - 02
    7th Michael Neal 21 - 08 11 1 - 15 3 - 14
    8th Jeff Sprague 18 - 09 14 1 - 05 1 - 13
    9th Dustin Connell 14 - 12 7 2 - 02 4 - 00
    10th Takahiro Omori 12 - 11 9 1 - 07 3 - 09
    1st place 26 bass for 55+ pounds and 2nd had 28 for 44+ pounds of bass in one day on Lake Garcia with no pre fishing is not bad at all. MLF style is much different then B.A.S.S. goal is how many 1 pound plus bass can you put in the boat in 1 day.
    Brad Krone

20. Member
    Your right, I forgot that the last day was at Garcia. Their goal though is not to catch 1 lbers, they would rather be catching the bigger ones. They dont show the early rounds results on Kissimmee but majority of the big pros struggled, like KVD, Hackney, Skeet,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast