Lucas M

Inserting a nail weight into a TRD...??

I have seen a cool technique that I want to try for bed fishing and finesse fishing. It is taking a 3" TRD, adding a nail weight into one end, and using a 1 or 1/0 neko hook rigged weedless into the TRD. It lets the bait stand straight up on the bottom and gives it a better bounce and twitch in my opinion, but I have a hard time getting a nail weight into the TRD because it is so stretchy. I tried using a regular nail to open up the bottom a bit so the weight slides in better, but that is tedious.

Any thoughts? Or someone else do this that will expand on it?

Thanks

2. Member
    I have seen some heat up the nail with a lighter and sticking it in. I have not tried it so not sure if it works.

Heat works, but it's treacherous. The better way seems to be to use a hook point or needle to make a "pilot hole" then insert the nail weight. A dab of super glue makes it stay. (I use a dab of super glue or Mend-It after inserting a nail weight into all soft plastics. When you're using tungsten and a jumping fish throws one, it gets expensive quickly! The glue helps. Keep in mind that Mend-It won't work well on Elaztech.)

Using a hook point for a "pilot hole" also makes Elaztech work on a screw-lock type setup, though that's still fairly difficult to get straight with the Elaztech's stretchiness. In either case, it helps to put the hook point in all the way to the barb and remove it several times, possibly rotating with each insertion, to make the hole bigger.

If you have bent up or otherwise retired Ned rig heads, you can cut the hook off at the bend and cut the line tie off (if you want...helps with weedlessness) and insert that. I've also seen enough hints from people that would know, including the official Z-Man Facebook account, to say that Z-Man will be releasing a Neko weight designed for Elaztech at some point soon. I'm guessing it'll be a Classic release. By all accounts it will look very similar to what you get by cutting off the line tie and bend of the hook from one of their Ned heads.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Lucas M
    Thanks for the input guys!
    Drew, as you know we got nothin but time to try out a few new ideas up here in the tundra!

5. Member
    What I’ve used before is a screw style weight. I’ve got a Do-It molds shakey Head mold with the screw lock keeper and I’ve poured some without the hook. So it leaves me with a little ball weight on a screw lock. Works well for me

6. Member
    heat a 3/4" pan head screw with a lighter...

oe

7. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    OR

I've done this a bit with the big TRD. I heat up the nail. Someone suggested using pen spring or corkscrew to keep it in place so I took the corkscrew off worm weights and thread it across the head of the bait to keep the nail from pushing out. The other tip I've used is the eco pro tungsten pro wacky weights. Seems Smallmouth will throw the nail out no matter what you do and the wacky weights will get snagged in rocks.

I use neko weights from lurepartsonline and they work fine. I do put a dab of superglue on them to keep them in and I don't lose them.

I use a roboworm hook though as the barb keeps rigged in elaztec better.

This rig is more snag resistant than a ned rig for sure.