Thread: Sore Pads

Question Sore Pads

My best friend Jack, the dark handsome fella in the picture < is having trouble with his feet. His foot pads are rough and very irritated. He is constantly licking them which probably is aggravating the problem. I assume it is caused by the cold weather and made worse by the ice storm we had yesterday.

I have been applying a canine pad balm that contains the usual ingredients, Shea butter, beeswax, vitamin E, and hemp oil. Of course he licks it right off but I figure it has to help. Poor little guy is limping around like an old veteran.

Just wondering if if any of you have a good home remedy for this problem?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

2. Member
    He might just pull them off but I think they make shoe / bootie type things to cover a dogs paws. Maybe if you could apply the meds and put the boots on it would keep him from licking it off.

No experience just my random ideas.

Make sure your using pet safe salt if your putting any on your driveway. You could put plastic bags on his paws for a little while to keep him from licking off the cream.
    I hope you get the poor guy fixed up soon.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

we used udder balm, and we took old socks taped well up the leg to keep our dog from licking it off.

5. BBC SPONSOR

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    we used udder balm, and we took old socks taped well up the leg to keep our dog from licking it off.
    Socks! I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if I can find a pair of my grandson's socks laying around here.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    My dog had that problem. It was a few times a year and he would chew the space between the pads, then lick them. He would give himself raw spots between the pads. He was a bigger dog, so the vet said give him a whole benadryl and once we started doing that, after a few days, he didn't chew his feet as much. If I ever saw him start to chew those feet, he went right back on the benadryl. Seemed to help our dog...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

Now I've got my wife at Kohl's looking for toddler socks. The things we do for these dogs.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Banned
    If you want to relieve discomfort, soak them in Epsom salts a couple of times a day. If you want to toughen them up, use a product similar to this. https://www.gundogsupply.com/search2...uery=Tough+pad

Socks and tape is what we used last time one of the dogs hurt a pad.

11. Member
    I've been using Musher's secret for awhile...Its the best stuff that I have found....I use to always use bag balm on my hunting dogs and then I saw the handlers in Iraq using this stuff..
    https://www.chewy.com/mushers-secret...xoCq-cQAvD_BwE
    If your going to put socks on his feet make sure he doesnt pull them off and eat the sock..I'm speaking from first hand experience on that..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

12. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Yessir! Works like a charm
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post