1989 150XP question

I have a 1989 150XP that is giving me some issues. Starts up fairly easily when arriving at the lake. Run on plane to first fishing hole and shut it off. If I fish for more than about 15-20 minutes, the motor is very difficult to get started again if it will start at all. Once it has been off a good while, it will start back up. Sometimes at this point it runs as it should, sometimes it will bog down when trying to get on plane and then clear up after a few minutes. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Welcome to the forum. We have some real good help here for your motor, please answer all questions, this is the only way we can help. Is this a new motor for you? Any history on what work has been done on the motor recently?

3. Member
    The model number is E150STLCEM. I have had this boat/motor since 2013. I had a very tough time with it the first year diagnosing intermittent spark issues. Turned out to be the timing advance arm was disconnected. Only basic yearly service has been performed on motor (impeller, water pump, lower unit lube change, etc..) This no start when warmed up issue has plagued me for a few years now and has finally cost me enough time and frustration that I need to resolve it. After hours upon hours of reading, I'm trying to determine if it could be a stator, coils, fuel issues or any combination of problems. Motor starts fairly reliably when cold and putting in at ramp. If I make a run long enough to get motor hot, and then shut off for more than about 10 minutes, that is when I have to hard or no start issue. Usually takes 40-60 minutes to get it restarted. This is really all the information I have on it. I do know that the person I purchased the boat from said it sat idle for almost 10 years.

4. Member
    I had a motor like yours, cold good start, warm it just would not start unless I gave it some throttle. Being a Evinrude tech I should have fixed it, I really didn't worry about it to much because a little throttle and it started real quick. If you don't have one get a real OMC service manual for your motor, not a after market one. First I would check the compression, if good, then check for spark on all cylinders, if good, then do a sync and link of the carbs and timing as per the manual, this is very important. I would run the Champion QL77JC4 spark plugs gap at .030. You must keep this motor level or a little above when starting, this keeps the exhaust relief ports on the back of the motor out of the water. After the first start, no primer and give it some throttle. If none of this works It might be a stator problem when hot, can you see any melted potting under the flywheel? We can get into this later. Another good thing to do now is check and clean every connector in the ignition system for corrosion, this happens more if the motor has set for spell. I almost forgot, look at the roller that opens the carbs, it should have a clear or yellowing sleeve over a smaller black roller, these sleeves crack and fall off.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 02-27-2019 at 09:07 PM.

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Wish I had an old OMC to work on. I'm still boatless. Lots of them out there for sale though. It won't be long now.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

6. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Wish I had an old OMC to work on. I'm still boatless. Lots of them out there for sale though. It won't be long now.
    I know someone that has a few...

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    You can come and help me work on mine, I haven't started it in two years. I have the OEM service manual.

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    You can come and help me work on mine, I haven't started it in two years. I have the OEM service manual.
    I'll stop by after work Jerry.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Member
    One thing you may want to check is the float level in the carbs. My 'ole 235 was very sensitive to this, as well as making sure all jet passages are clean...

10. Member
    Another question, what size fuel line is spec on this motor? Is there a difference in size on the lines outside the cowling vs what is inside?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    3/8" coming in once inside and to the fuel tree is 5/16" cut the lines on the tree to remove and be careful the fuel tree is no longer available.

12. Member
    I have it torn down a bit at the moment, replacing fuel lines, filters, etc... After inspecting, I noticed that sleeve over the roller that opens the carbs is missing. Do you have a part number for a replacement? When I get the fuel tank cleaned and reinstalled, I will update on progress. The plugs are fresh, they were put in this past July and only saw about 15 hours of use. They are the Champions.

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoodman1207 View Post
    The plugs are fresh, they were put in this past July and only saw about 15 hours of use. They are the Champions.
    QL77JC4 gapped at .030.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The roller is 0432639 and the O ring is 0324678

15. Member
    Thank you, much appreciated! What would be the issues caused by that roller sleeve missing?
    Last edited by mgoodman1207; 03-01-2019 at 05:36 PM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgoodman1207 View Post
    Thank you, much appreciated! What would be the issues caused by that roller sleeve missing?
    With the sleeve missing you don't have the carbs and timing in sink, result poor acceleration. The carbs wont open full and poor overall performance.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 03-04-2019 at 06:29 PM.