Thread: Nitro Z21

Nitro Z21

Hey guys. Looking at buying a 2019 Z21 with 250 Merc 4 stroke. Boat would have 2 10ft Talons, 4 AGM batteries. My question is do you recommend a hydraulic jackplate. My prior boat had one and I rarely used it. Pretty much set it to where I liked it and never really had to adjust it. I am just wondering with the added talons on the new boat if this is something that I would use more to help with hole shot and performance. I don't really worry about adding a couple mph more worried about the hole shot. If I get 67-68 out of it and get on plane quickly that's all I am looking for. Thanks

2. Member
    Jack plate if you fish river systems or other places where you want to get up in shallower water. If you got by without one you don’t need it. I have a 17 with 2 12’ talons. Manual slide master and no problems. 24 Fury. 72 mph tournament 2 guys. You won’t loose any of that with the 4 stroke.

3. Member
    I would add the jack plate is also helpful if you fish big water. In addition to shallow water benefits mentioned, a hydraulic jack plate comes in handy if you are running bigger water/rough stuff. I moved from a Ranger 620 (a great big water boat) to the Z21 last year, and the hydraulic jack plate has been a great addition to run with confidence
    in the rougher stuff, as well as shallows (eg I fish Miss River and sometimes Mille Lacs or Lake of the Woods etc...).

i am sure others will say they are fine with no plate, or a manual adjust plate, and I am sure that is true...but that hydraulic plate makes adjusting to variable conditions pretty nice!

All about personal choices....and what works best for you (in addition to cost of course)!

4. Member
    Two things I couldn't live without. Hydrolic jack plate and an Ultrex.
    Last edited by TXZ21; 02-08-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

5. Member
    You ABSOULTELY MUST HAVE a hydro plate on that rig! Of course for 'skinny' water it helps, but with all the weight on the back end, 4 AGM's plus over 120 pounds of Talons, never mind 1 rider or 2, full tank or ¼ tank.... you need that adjustability on the water. Smooth, rough, big, skinny, there are just too many variables out there where that makes your day on the water more of what you need it to be.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

I use to run Hydraulic plates, I was just like you. This is the first 1 I have had without a hydraulic plate, don't miss it much, plus I think its .25mph faster then a boat with a hydraulic plate.

I run all types of water, and just have not missed it. Is it nice to have, yes it is. Is it cool, heck yes. Is it worth 1000 more to have it, I lean towards no.

The new motors have incredible holeshot and slightly better top end. I am all over those numbers u posted , we ran 69.5 2 guys at 250lbs each and fuel load of 50 gallons, on TB last week. Once we filled livewells i saw 67.5 to 68.5. after burning off some fuel we were back to 69. I am always over 70 by myself. normally 71.5 to 72.5 depending on fuel load.

And zero issues with holeshot..... even with both livewells full.

Your gonna love it.
    Last edited by BMCD; 02-08-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

7. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I figured I would get some mixed reactions. Picking up the new boat in a couple weeks so I still had time to add the hydraulic plate. Good to hear Bryan. I would be very happy with your numbers! Do you have poles or talons on the back? Your running a fury 3. Do you know your ptp. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bk626 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I figured I would get some mixed reactions. Picking up the new boat in a couple weeks so I still had time to add the hydraulic plate. Good to hear Bryan. I would be very happy with your numbers! Do you have poles or talons on the back? Your running a fury 3. Do you know your ptp. Thanks!
    P2P is approx 3.25. Fury 23. Power pole blades so I will be a little lighter then you will. Course I make up for it in my weight.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

If you don't use it you won't miss it. I want one but have never had one...
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089