Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Cranking and TM Batteries

May need to buy all new batts soon, starting my 7th season with these. What are good ones, have a Sears Platinum for my cranking batt and it's a good one. But since Sears has folded, not sure if someone else is making the same batt. Kinda open for discussion and opinions on both cranking and TM batts.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I understood, Sears got bailed out. I don't think the "Store Closing" banners are up any longer on the Abilene store. Then again, looks like it could still be up in the air ---> https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/07/inves...ion/index.html. I was going from this earlier story https://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-t...on-11547636823. If you got 7yrs out of your current ones, I'd go back with them if still available. I've had good luck with Interstate until the last TM batteries I bought. Had one go bad after 2yrs. I typically been getting 4+ years out of them.

I have heard the Duramax AGM 31 at Sam's is the same batt as the Sears platinum...not sure though. Can't get the TM batts, they came from a local company in Missouri when I bought the boat. I'll look into them though, some off brand I've never heard of.

4. Banned
    I have an Interstate 31agm in this new boat, it ran three 12,s and livewells all day long without starting the big motor. Since I added the Garmin on the front I added a smaller battery and tied it in to the existing cranking battery. I’ve had them all over the last few years and this one is the best. The odesey battery I had lasted 6 months and seemed to get worse the more it was used as well as the others I had.

I had Optima for cranking and always ran Interstate for TM. Never had any issues on any of my rigs

Sears in Abilene is closing for sure. Flip a coin and buy 31 series. I am not one to spend 300 dollars a a fancy battery. Interstate 31's are about $120. I can't give an honest review yet. Only had them for one year. But they seem to be doing fine. They charge fast and I could run a couple of long days if needed on a single charge.

7. Member
    Just picked up three of the Duracell AGM's (group 31) from Sam's Club over the weekend. I reckon they're not what the Odyssey or X2's are, but then again... they're only $180 each!

We were not even members of Sam's Club either. Been Costco members forever though. The closest battery we could find was another Duracell Platinum at Batteries Plus (Batteries and Bulbs) for $240 ($216 after 10% off). That's still $108 more than Sam's. So we joined at the $100 level, then got $10 back for the every $500 spent. Three batteries were $540 so that's already paying for itself. Going back Saturday with a bud, to get 3 for his Ranger. Don't think we'll keep the $100 membership after the first year though, but for now it's free money.

FWIW the X2 *IS* The Odyssey battery, only it's $100 cheaper. Read a story several years ago about the inventor of the Odyssey selling the company, but still held the patent. So now Batteries and Bulbs sell the X2 (and I think the one that Summit Racing sells as the XS) as basically the same (Odyssey) battery.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

8. Banned
    I had an odessy battery that lasted 6 months, heave me another one and it lasted 6 months, my buddy Brian had the same issue. I don’t think odessy is all they are cracked up to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    I have heard the Duramax AGM 31 at Sam's is the same batt as the Sears platinum...not sure though. Can't get the TM batts, they came from a local company in Missouri when I bought the boat. I'll look into them though, some off brand I've never heard of.
    Nope, not the same battery. the old Sears Platinum were made by Odyssey.

10. Member
    Got 2 bad Duramax from Sams, I have no faith in them. I think the PM1 was made by EnerSys.

What are you running for your TM now Charlie?

Is there really a “Duramax” battery? Thought that was a Chevy pickup engine.
    I have Duracell from Sams for troll motor. 2-3 years old, so no opinion on longevity yet, but they seem to be strong.

When I upgraded to two 12” graphs I bought that jillion dollar nine hundred pound bastard from Batts and Bulbs/ Battery Plus...

It is a BEAST.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

I meant Duracell Cork.

Ok, I see Charlie said Duramax too, so I wasn’t sure.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    Ok, I see Charlie said Duramax too, so I wasn’t sure.
    I don’t think he meant Duramax Cork.

16. Banned
    I run the duracell for my cranking battery and it seems good so far. I will probably go with them for my trolling batteries in march. The crap from Walmart is just that crap.. Needed them in a pinch.

I've been running the Cabelas AGM batteries for several years now, and they been flawless. Group 30 cranking and Group 27's for the TM. If you watch, they put them on sale for $50 off with free shipping to your door - That is before Johnny Morris bought Cabelas. We'll have to wait and see.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brow..._SEQ_104446080

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    What are you running for your TM now Charlie?
    Last one I bought was a Trojan. I’ve got some cheap batteries in there too, whatever I could find at the lake cause my boat stays there. Duramax....shit. Leave it to Corky to find my flaws.

19. Member
    I dont really have any good suggestions
    Seems all the battery manufacturers in the last few yrs decided to make everything garbage
    Havent had an Optima last more than a yr in a car since interstate bought them out
    The odyssey works great in the racecar but I dont think I'd buy it for the boat
    All the cabelas agm are deka batteries havent had good luck with them
    I've honestly been buying the cheapest I can get "O'reillys junk" and just replace them every yr under warranty
    As long as is doesnt happen during a weekend tourney or something it hasn't been an issue yet..
    But like I said not a good recommendation for going 7yrs
    I havent had the same battery in anything I own for more than about 3yrs since probably 2005
    I hate dead batteries!

20. Member
    Bought this almost a year ago,haven't had a problem with it yet. Can't speak for longevity yet. Has a 3 yr warranty too.
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7...archIndex=Prod
    2011 Legend Alpha 211 DC
    250 Pro XS
    Solix 10 G2 MSI & Onix 10 NT
    Elite 9 Ti2 connected to
    Motorguide Xi5 105

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast