264 / 254v Differences & 254v question

Hey Guys! I've had my 1991 254v about a year now. It has a 1991 70HP Johnson on it. It has been a great runner and introduced me to boating and I enjoy it quite a bit. After owning it for a while, I had a few questions. I've searched but there aren't many resources to tap into.

Right now I'm running a Solas Amita 3 13.25x17 3 Blade. I'm a bigger guy at 300lbs (and usually fish with a buddy thats 150). My 254 will run about 34-35MPH (GPS) with just me and my gear with fuel and 31-33MPH with two guys, gear and fuel. Does this speed sound right? I don't expect the 70HP to be a speed demon, just checking on it.

I also learned of the Stratos 264. This boat, from what I could find, looks identical and measures identical to my 254. Can anyone tell me why my 254v is rated for 70HP USCG and the 264 is rated for 140HP ?

I appreciate you taking the time to read this! I don't participate much but I love coming here to read. Thanks again!

2. Banned
    I have a '93 254 and run the same size prop on a 75hp Merc Opti max. Get around 44 by myself if I push it to 5750rpm, but usually cruise @4500 rpm and 35mph GPS Great little boat, I bought mine new, on the 3rd outboard, getting ready to replace the original carpet, and still have the original running lights on the trailer.

The prop I have on mine is a Ballistic prop.

As far as the difference between the 254 and the 264, I thought that the 264 was a wider boat.

3. Member
    I believe you are correct, it probably is wider but it looks so much like the 254 I was confused by the fact it was so similar but rated for double the horsepower. I definitely see you getting 44 with your motor. I'm content with my 33-35 with my old 70HP i was just wondering others were averaging better. I tried a 13.25x19 (I think) and did somewhat better but it took it forever to plane out and just didn't sound like itself.

4. Banned
    When I bought the boat, it came with a 70hp Johnson that blew the powerhead 4 times in 4 years and even though it was under an extended warranty, it would coast me 5-6 hundred dollars every time for things "Not Covered". When it did it the 4th time, I went with Merc and have been happy ever since.
    I have my motor mounted higher than the dealer mounted it as the 254's have that set back built into the transom and it's almost like a jack plate. The Ballistic prop really puts me up on plane quickly, but will let the engine go over the red line RPM's. The other prop I have is one I got from Midwest Propeller that has been cupped. It does not let me over rev the motor, gives me a little more top end, but pops up slower.
    Sounds like yours is set up well!