Thread: River Jets

River Jets

Looking to buy new or used next year. leaning towards new unless the deal i'm looking for pops up. If you have a river jet post a pic or fill me in on your setup and things you like or would change.

I'm going to try and get a RockProof but if the price is to high I'm going to go with a Lowe Roughneck 1860 or the G3 1860. Anyway, always looking for input on different boats and setups

Joe
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Have you looked at Havoc Boat's check out the river rat. Looks like a very nice rig.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

Mines a Rhino. Get the Rockproof. Wished I did.

"I'm just looking for a bite"

"I'm just looking for a bite"

5. U.S. Navy, Retired
    Shameless plug for a friend who fishes out of a RockProof on the Susky. sj-fishing.com I've been in his boat a few times and I was very impressed! I'm not a 'river guy' and it was different looking down and seeing the gravel a few inches below the hull as you are screaming in-between boulders... I have to admit, there was a bit of a pucker-factor going on... lol!

6. Member

I follow SJ-Fishing as well as a few others that run the RockProof boats. I have to agree, running on a few inches of water in that environment is different. The boats are built for that type of fishing and they do it well. I want to fish the river knowing if you do not something it's not going to be...oh crap we got a leak. Plus for just drifting down the river that UHMW just slides off the rocks.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

8. Member

9. Member
    Duckys usually has a good selection of SeaArks.

Last time I was at Towne marine in Bloomsburg, they were selling a barebones jet boat. I believe Voyager was the brand. All had Yamaha jets. Looked like a decent no frills rig that you wouldn't feel too bad about banging on the rocks.

https://www.townemarine.com/boats-fo...vania-6375808/
    Last edited by Pagregss; 02-09-2019 at 06:36 AM.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

I would get an AlumaRyder jet boat. Unbelievable craftsmanship!

I have a Tracker Pro17 with a 60/40 jet. It is not the best but it works for me.
    My buddy just got a Legend 1760 with a 150 and that thing is SWEET!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

12. Member
    i have a g3 1860 w k5 bottom coating. custom paintjob. 115 yamaha. twin 8ft talons an 112 fortrex. ive been debating on putting up for sale for a new rig. alumaryder maybe or a river raptor..

xIMG_5412 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyhuxta View Post
    i have a g3 1860 w k5 bottom coating. custom paintjob. 115 yamaha. twin 8ft talons an 112 fortrex. ive been debating on putting up for sale for a new rig. alumaryder maybe or a river raptor..

xIMG_5412 (2).jpg
    How do you like the G3? I've been looking at the G3 1860 CCJ Deluxe but the only thing that worries me is the hull thickness and I heard they don't turn well, that was from a dealer that was trying to sell me a Lowe. If you do decide to sell, let me know.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

14. Member
    the hull is definatly thin an the bracing is not anywhere close to that of a custom river boat. but it does the job. i take it everywhere my buddy goes in his rockproof but i have it sprayed with the k5 also. mine is also the deluxe. all that means is its actually painted vs the drab green an mine has the vinyl flooring. i paint cars all day an actually resprayed the boat to match my truck . much nicer than factory. theyre nice boats for what youre paying for them , . the k5 bottom is slick an slides over shallow stuff. . they steer just like any other tunnel jet boat. no jet is gonna handle like a prop boat . im definatley debating on selling or not at the current moment. tough decisions. there was a all black rockproof that popped up on craigslist for about an hour i wanted to buy. but someone snagged it. i cant be boatless.

I agree...being boatless sucks. The boat does look great and although the K5 isn't cheap it does help slide over ricks instead of the aluminum digging in. If you get rock poof with one of the Rotax 150 and do the panting yourself you'll save a ton of money. I tried taking numbers with brent to get a cost but every time I went to the show to talk he was busy. I' still in the air as well as to what I want to buy.

What did the K5 cost to spray if you don't mind me asking?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

Very similar to tobyfrommo's rig, but he has several small things done the right way that I wish mine had. The specs are in my signature.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

17. Member
    the k5 was 3500 with them taking the motor off an turning it upside down. ive sliced the k5 open on a rock just under the water while drifting . i called the place up. he sent me a repair kit. an i did it myself super easy fix. could never tell it happened. so far its impressive stuff for what it is. ive def put it through some solid testing. yea i had talked to alumaryder an river raptor about getting a boat unfinished an painting it myself. they were a ok with that an it definatley made a price difference.

18. Member
    i run an xpress 1760 with a "hot" 140/100 jet. boat was bought bare and new, bottom cut out and 3/16" plate welded in. i did the entire set up myself as a stick steer. Im spinning my 4 blade wooldridge impeller at approx 5500 rpm in the summer, and 5900 in the winter. I usually see upper 30's, which in a 2200 lb stick steer boat, gets a little hairy at times. Only regret is i didnt tunnel the hull and get UHMW put on when it was new, but thats my next project. Tom Snyder is welding me up the tunnel itself, ill be cutting and welding the bottom myself.

IF I was only fishing the susky or lower parts of the Potomac Id get a rocket or alumaryder. I fish the upper parts of the river even in summer low flows and need a stick steer for the instant response. Scott Johnson will tell you, I take my boat in a ton of places he wont take his river rocket - he calls me crazy
    Last edited by JoshKeller; 02-14-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle