Advice on how best to lift boat off of trailer temporarily for trailer repair

Hey guys,
    I'm going to have to gain access to my trailer without the boat sitting on it in order to do some repairs on the trailer bunk brackets. I am an a couple of hours away from the lake, and the work I need to do to the trailer won't be quick, so I need to find a way to lift my boat up off of my trailer, and get the trailer out from under it with the boat resting temporarily on blocks etc.. Has anyone ever had to do this and if so, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

thx

2. Member
    If this is a fiberglass boat, I would recommend you go to boat ramp offload it and do the work there!!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    lots of tips on youtube , from what ive seen , blocks underneath while slowly using winch pulling trailer off the boat , first jack up transom , i have jacked mine a few times front and back (20 year old fiberglass stratos) and its very strong , maybe wet bunks when transom up to lube .

It is a fiberglass boat. Triton TR196. The brackets that the bunks are mounted on are rusted terribly bad and I need to address that. The repairs I need to do are too time consuming to just go to the lake and tie the boat up and try to do on the parking lot. I really need to get this boat off the trailer at home if at all possible. My brother suggested using my 4 post car lift with straps which would have worked perfectly, however my trailer is about 3 inches too wide to fit in between the posts. Going to have to find another way.

5. Member
    Use an engine hoist hooked to the back 2 tie downs and another one to the front one. In lieu of the front engine hoist you can use a floor jack and a well padded jack stand. Support the back of the boat with the engine hoist or other hoisting means, then use the floor jack ro raise the front enough to let the trailer roll. Roll trailer up to floor jack, place padded jack stand underneath and relocate floor jack behind the cross member and repeat. I have used this method several times it's a little time consuming and tedious but works. Make a set of carpeted bunks out of wood and ease it down onto them, making sure you have them connected at the bottoms to eliminate kick out, like a cradle so to speak.

6. Member
    I have to do the same thing this spring!!

I have a 2002 TR186 with a EZ Loader trailer If it wasn't for the bunk brackets rotting out you would think it was a new trailer so disappointing.

7. Member
    mine needs the same bracket work +more tlc this is why i already serched the subject , 1997 stratos trail =EZ loader custom but still in good shape nonetheless

8. Member

Floor jack and some thing to set the boat on. 4x4’s work pretty well. Easy job, just time consuming. I removed a trailer from under a 25ft Mako CC. A Bass boat is gravy.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

10. Member
    Do any of your friends or colleagues own a reach lift (gradall, telehandler, or whatever its named in your area)?

They are built for lifting things way heavier than our typical bass boats. Use 2-3 straps that are logically placed and its super simple.

My friend is a hay bailer/hauler so they are used to load big bales stacks on tractor trailers. Its so easy it was funny. About 2 minutes to get it off the ground by myself. Strategically placed big bales were also perfect for setting boat down (when needing telehandler for something else).

Just thinking outside the “box” for equipment in the construction/farming industies that work great but you might not consider.

11. Member

Can you leave your boat outside?

Local tow company have a rotator? I rig a rotator up to pick my fishing partner’s boat out of the ditch and sat it back on the trailer.

I’ll try and post a picture below.

on the front web strap i used a snap on the web belt. Just like the one on your winch strap, but the round circle part that the winch strap is sewed on to is bigger to allow the size of that web sbelt to pass through. Snap it on the bow eye, run the back web belt under the outboard mounting bracket and have the rotator tighten the back cable first pulling the strap.

Walk inthe park.
    Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 02-10-2019 at 11:43 AM.

14. Member
    I plan on doing bunk replacement and maintenance soon. Most lakes here have a marina. I'm just going to rent a temp slip and leave the boat on the water while I do the work.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombercraw View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm going to have to gain access to my trailer without the boat sitting on it in order to do some repairs on the trailer bunk brackets. I am an a couple of hours away from the lake, and the work I need to do to the trailer won't be quick, so I need to find a way to lift my boat up off of my trailer, and get the trailer out from under it with the boat resting temporarily on blocks etc.. Has anyone ever had to do this and if so, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated

thx

Just had a similar incident late last year, I just went to a local marina and rented a slip for two days. It was really cheap (20.00) and secure. Also, a local marina could also just lift the boat off of the trailer and put it on stands if you didn't want to wet dock it. That might cost a little more but.. there are definitely options. I've seen a lot of the DIY "slide the boat off the trailer" stuff go wrong, so if you decide to take that route just be really careful and go slow!

best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by WjColdWater View Post
    This^^^
    I want my ashes sprinkled in the lake...might as well try to get em to bite one last time.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougL58 View Post
    I plan on doing bunk replacement and maintenance soon. Most lakes here have a marina. I'm just going to rent a temp slip and leave the boat on the water while I do the work.
    Hopefully it's not 2 hours to the nearest marina. I agree about just leaving the boat in the water while you do your repairs. With lithium battery powered drills, saws and impact wrenches, redoing the woodwork on a trailer is really not difficult.

I'm in the process of replacing the lag bolts on my trailer bunks with carriage bolts.

I have my TR 196 on blocks as we speak, here is a quick how to. Get a good floor jack and some jack stands, go to front of boat at hitch put floor jack under it lift it up, rotate your boat jack so it will not get in the way. lower front of boat all the way to ground as far as it will go, now go to back of boat with jack stands and raise them up with a 2 x 6 across jack plate if you have one or under the bottom of the motor where it mounts to boat. 2 x 6 on jack stands. now lift boat back up in front and it should be about 2" lifted off of the boards. I took a piece of a 6 x 6 and cut a small v in the wood and used it up front under boat where my keel guard ends towards bottom of boat. I used some towels to cushion it. Know I took 2 more jack stands and raised up front of boat. If you can get a strap and lift the front of the boat with a com along through the eye it makes it alot easier. I used a com along to hold it up level and blocked under it and pulled out the trailer by hand. Been that way for 2 weeks waiting on weather and material. Call me if you need info. 318-366-9154