Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    will be fixing the first one listedthe boatt more than fishing likely!!
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    will be fixing boat more than fishing likely!!
    Why do you say that?

3. Member
    old carb motor-old electronic and TM. just needs lots of tlc and updates last two links much better options whats your budget?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    old carb motor-old electronic and TM. just needs lots of tlc and updates last two links much better options whats your budget?
    The ‘86 is definitely off the table! Really leaning towards the ‘88. My budget all in is roughly 10k, I can pay cash for the boat at 5k, over the next year I will upgrade the TM and electronics once I learn about them and figure out what I need! I haven’t fished for many years so I need to update all my rods and tackle as well. My thought process is I could go buy a brand new 30k boat and pay monthly payments, but what if it’s not what I want or I just don’t use it much. I’ll take a blood bath on resale. Whereas here I will have 5k in the boat and any electronics will be able to be moved to any new boat 2 years down the road if I indeed use this as much as I hope. While I would love a 19-21ft boat, it is total overkill for where I live and I do t have room to store a boat of that size, a 17-18 footer is pushing it! Hope this all makes sense! I

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evangorp View Post
    The ‘86 is definitely off the table! Really leaning towards the ‘88. My budget all in is roughly 10k, I can pay cash for the boat at 5k, over the next year I will upgrade the TM and electronics once I learn about them and figure out what I need! I haven’t fished for many years so I need to update all my rods and tackle as well. My thought process is I could go buy a brand new 30k boat and pay monthly payments, but what if it’s not what I want or I just don’t use it much. I’ll take a blood bath on resale. Whereas here I will have 5k in the boat and any electronics will be able to be moved to any new boat 2 years down the road if I indeed use this as much as I hope. While I would love a 19-21ft boat, it is total overkill for where I live and I do t have room to store a boat of that size, a 17-18 footer is pushing it! Hope this all makes sense! I

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Member
    So I spoke to the gentle man who owns the boat last night. Kinda felt bad for him! Every time I asked him a question I could hear his wife barking at him trying to answer all the questions for him, poor fella! He’s owned the boat for 3 years, purchased it from a former Guide on the lake of the ozarks. Boat has 3 factory gas tanks, other than that he couldn’t tell me a lot about the history. One of those deals he boat a new boat from a friend and just needs to get rid of it. Told him I would let him know tonight if I’m going to come get it, as he wants to put new tires in the trailer before he sells it, he was shocked I was thinking of coming 7 hours away just for his boat!

he did mention the trim was being stubborn so he took it to his mechanic, and after checking the boat out, all it took was a slight tap with a ball Leon hammer on the motor for the trim to get it working, something about the brushes being stuck? Not sure what to think of that!

7. Member
    Cluttering up my own thread here, but there are these 2 boats locally if people think they might be a better buy?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...1197040817448/
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9615022168884/

I apologize for being so indecisive, just looking for honest feedback!

I have read some unfavorable things about the ‘87 Skeeter becoming water logged but this one looks well taken care of! I posted the link over in the Skeeter forum as well to see if any Skeeter owners have any thoughts/insight!

And the Stratos is technically underpowered!
    Last edited by evangorp; 02-11-2019 at 08:33 AM.

8. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Stay away from the stratos. Notorious for totted transoms and stringers(I had one). Stratos is WAY under powered. You will never be happy with an under powered boat. Take your time and buy what you want. Try not to buy someone elses issues. This is great site for good guidance.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    Stay away from the stratos. Notorious for totted transoms and stringers(I had one). Stratos is WAY under powered. You will never be happy with an under powered boat. Take your time and buy what you want. Try not to buy someone elses issues. This is great site for good guidance.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, I need to make sure info my due diligence! While the ‘88, has great potential, the fact the guy couldn’t tell me much about it makes it very difficult to drive 14 hours round trip not knowing for sure if I’m going to buy it. Just doesn’t feel right!

Now the gentleman who owns the Skeeter sent me a message, has owned the bot for 13 years, has been around it since the day it was sold new, and can tell me everything! New plugs and file lines, new power pack 2 years ago, trolling motor/recess/deck extension all new last year. Selling because he fishes tournaments on the Mississippi and has outgrown the boat and purchased a bigger Ranger to suit his needs! These are the kind of buyers I want to deal with! That boat is only 2 hours away, so I will more than likely go take look at it. Its set up ready to fish!

I don’t know your age or $ situation.
    If you are a lover of fishing not just a like to go guy, buy What you secretly want!
    I got $ to buy my new boat, but crap, I just went with 10 year loan!
    Little bit a month like electricity bill! and still have emergency funds.
    Just my experience of buying boats for decades. 😊

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evangorp View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement, I need to make sure info my due diligence! While the ‘88, has great potential, the fact the guy couldn’t tell me much about it makes it very difficult to drive 14 hours round trip not knowing for sure if I’m going to buy it. Just doesn’t feel right!

Now the gentleman who owns the Skeeter sent me a message, has owned the bot for 13 years, has been around it since the day it was sold new, and can tell me everything! New plugs and file lines, new power pack 2 years ago, trolling motor/recess/deck extension all new last year. Selling because he fishes tournaments on the Mississippi and has outgrown the boat and purchased a bigger Ranger to suit his needs! These are the kind of buyers I want to deal with! That boat is only 2 hours away, so I will more than likely go take look at it. Its set up ready to fish!
    Does the '87 Skeeter have a wood transom? If so, proceed with caution. Even the best cared for rigs with wood transoms can be problematic over time. A trick I used to use was to remove the drain plug housing (usually two screws) and pull the whole assemble out. This will expose bare wood within the hole. Take a screw driver or awl and poke it to see if you can force water to the surface of the wood and to see if the wood is soft. If you can see either, tell him thanks but no thanks.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    Does the '87 Skeeter have a wood transom? If so, proceed with caution. Even the best cared for rigs with wood transoms can be problematic over time. A trick I used to use was to remove the drain plug housing (usually two screws) and pull the whole assemble out. This will expose bare wood within the hole. Take a screw driver or awl and poke it to see if you can force water to the surface of the wood and to see if the wood is soft. If you can see either, tell him thanks but no thanks.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=961245

here is the link to my other thread where I have mentioned what the owner has done to it /checked over the years!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BR374 View Post
    I don’t know your age or $ situation.
    If you are a lover of fishing not just a like to go guy, buy What you secretly want!
    I got $ to buy my new boat, but crap, I just went with 10 year loan!
    Little bit a month like electricity bill! and still have emergency funds.
    Just my experience of buying boats for decades. 
    this is kind of a stop gap boat to get me into the game to make sure I enjoy it and will use it! Thinking 2/3 years! In reality I could easily afford the payments on a 35-40k boat if I wanted! There’s days I want to go cheap, others I want a boat in the 10-15k range, and yet others where I think I should just buy a RT178/188 or a 175 glass boat!

I’m going to look at it this weekend, it will either be awesome and I’ll buy it, or I’m going to step back up my budget and go all in with a newer used boat or brand new!

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Skeeter DOES have wood transom and stringers.

15. Member
    For those following, found another solid candidate I looking into:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2439741994853/

16. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Nice looking boat. Since he is selling for a friend, make sure he has clear and up to date taxes on boat/title. Also whoever the boat is titled to must sign paperwork or seller must have a proper POA. Seller cannot sign for a friend or he cant present you with a pre-signed title. Go to the your state DNR/BMV site and find out what your state needs for purchase of a boat elsewhere. If he tries to side talk you or tell you dont need this or that or goes against what YOUR state needs for sale, walk away. I got burnt once by a person selling a boat for a friend. Took 6 months and $$$$$ and 600 miles to fix. That boat I would go look at....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12