Buying a used trailer

So i have been shopping around for used trailers and it seems unless i buy a brand new one I will be stuck making some modification to the bunks to the boat sits right. Looking for some guidance on what brackets i would likely need or a good source for them. Gotcha etc.

Any feed back is appreciated, going to be my first go around with this.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshaker View Post
    So i have been shopping around for used trailers and it seems unless i buy a brand new one I will be stuck making some modification to the bunks to the boat sits right. Looking for some guidance on what brackets i would likely need or a good source for them. Gotcha etc.

Any feed back is appreciated, going to be my first go around with this.
    I just cut off all my bunk brackets on a newer trailer. You will need CE smith Double U-bolt bolster brackets and and swivels at the top. Cutting them off is not easy and you will have to fill, prime and paint those spots. So might as well do the whole trailer.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton420 View Post
    I just cut off all my bunk brackets on a newer trailer. You will need CE smith Double U-bolt bolster brackets and and swivels at the top. Cutting them off is not easy and you will have to fill, prime and paint those spots. So might as well do the whole trailer.
    Thx for the info the bracket make sense and doesn't look to difficult.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

4. Member
    Brackets work, but not quite as well as properly welded supports. I have brackets but they hang down and sometimes hit things, and sometimes they slip even though very very tight.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Brackets work, but not quite as well as properly welded supports. I have brackets but they hang down and sometimes hit things, and sometimes they slip even though very very tight.
    Good to know the brackets aren't cheap so it is worth finding someone to weld new ones on
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

6. Member
    i buy over 150 trailers a year from a trailer manufacturer most are new non current trailers i tell them trailers are like women they are the same but not the only way to get a new trailer to fit is have it custom built are hope the builder has a jig for it my singles start at 995.00 an tandems start at 2250.00 an up they would need to have the bunks moved i am also a ez loader dealer .

7. Member
    Double U-bolt brackets at all points will not slip. I have seen singles slip. As far as them hitting things... Cut the bottoms off.
    Unless you want to spend a ton of money to have brackets welded and replaced, might as well buy a new cheap aluminum trailer for $3-$4K.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

8. Member
    Interesting I might be able to find a buddy willing to do the welding. All good info, hoping to find a trailer were the middle 2 bunks line up.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live

9. Member
    Interesting I might be able to find a buddy willing to do the welding. All good info, hoping to find a trailer were the middle 2 bunks line up.
    98 Ra​nger R93
    00 Evinrude 175hp Ficht
    HB Helix 12 Mega DI G4N
    HB Helix 12 Mega SI G4N
    HB Helix 10 Mega SI G2N
    Mega 360
    Mega Live