115 Mercury 4 cyl 2 stroke model questions

Got a call from a friend that he is buying a pontoon to use as a work platform and is has a very clean 4 cyl 115 merc on it. It is the square cowl type with oil injection window on driver side. Sorry, that is all the info I have. I can get motor very cheap. What years roughly were these built?
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

2. Member
    started in 1987 that cowl style went to 95 believe,they were built up until 06 believe
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Here is a pic of one identical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    that's it ,only idles on top 2
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    that's it ,only idles on top 2
    How dependable? What you mean only idles on top 2?

6. Member
    From that I can gather, it may be a 1993. I have had two other people on another forum tell me to run from it because of the "hit n miss" running. Anyone with experience?

7. Member
    designed to run on top 2cyls only at idle ,i thought they ran very well , they do need to be propped correctly, when properly maintained were very dependable

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    designed to run on top 2cyls only at idle ,i thought they ran very well , they do need to be propped correctly, when properly maintained were very dependable
    This motor is clean as a new motor. Oil injection taken off. Not been ran a handful of times in the last 5 years. Carbs will most likely have to be built. On the fence about it but very cautious hearing about the problems people have had.