2017 Caracal console graph factory wiring

Please help steer me in the proper direction. I'm in the process of gathering up all the necessary components to add a 5 port ethernet adapter and a fuse panel at the console as well as 360 imaging and an 1199 at the bow to a 2017 Caracal. The boat already has a Helix 12 at the console and Helix 10 at the bow. Looking under the console today it appeared that the Helix 12 is powered off a buss bar that is fed from the cranking battery by 6 gauge wire. Did Bass Cat run 6 gauge wire to the consoles for electronic accessories or am I not seeing something properly? If this is accurate could I remove the buss bar and replace it with a fuse panel and power all 3 graphs, 360, and ethernet port from it? In doing this would I need to replace the 30 amp breaker that comes standard on the cranking battery with a larger capacity breaker? If so what one would be best suited for this application? Is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

No, they ran 6 gauge to the consoles in 2016 and later, and they run 10 gauge tinned wire to the bow from that buss bar. DON’T remove the Buss Bar, just tap into the studs on it for your power.

3. Member
    Thank you sir.

4. Member
    Is this bus bar supposed to be mounted or hanging free? Mine is hanging free or at least whatever my graph power cord is connected to is. It seems to be corroded and I will lose power to the graph when hitting a wake.

Mine is loose as well. If there is corrosion,you should take it out and clean all terminals very well. Should cure your problem.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianabasshunter View Post
    Thank you sir.
    I hooked into that buss bar like Basscat above said I just got done installing dual graphs on my Caracal.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

7. Member
    I think I will run a power cord straight to the battery for mine one less connection to worry about.

8. Member
    Well instead of running new power cord I looked at how the Hbird power cord was hooked to the bus. What happens is the ring terminal hooked to that tiny wire seems to lose connection possible breaking wire. So I soldered in a small piece of 14gauge wire and put a heavy ring terminal. That solved my problem!! Went to Wheeler Saturday and it was rough never once lost power. Basscat needs to look at doing this on installs because putting a ring terminal on that small wire on a buss that is not mounted is eventually going to break.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1967 View Post
    Well instead of running new power cord I looked at how the Hbird power cord was hooked to the bus. What happens is the ring terminal hooked to that tiny wire seems to lose connection possible breaking wire. So I soldered in a small piece of 14gauge wire and put a heavy ring terminal. That solved my problem!! Went to Wheeler Saturday and it was rough never once lost power. Basscat needs to look at doing this on installs because putting a ring terminal on that small wire on a buss that is not mounted is eventually going to break.
    What I do is strip it further back and fold the wire several times making it thicker then put it in and clamp it on the thicker folded wire.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

10. Member
    To Basscat: Why do you say do NOT remove the buss bar and replace with fuse block. You could then use the 6ga at the dash to power the fuse block and fuse the accessories at the fuse block. Why would that not be equally good or better than the buss bar -- just asking
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    Stripping it back and folding will make a thicker connection to the ring terminal but you still are connected to s very small wire subjected to a lot of movement that will eventually break. At least I think so lol

12. Member
    Strip it back and fold, crimp it, then solder it, and put heat shrink over and you will have a solid, waterproof connection.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S