Tire air pressure for an empty trailer

I have a 4600 lb load Rite trailer with 205 75 R14 load D Tires. If I had the boat on the trailer I would keep the air pressure at 65 PSI. I'm going to be driving about 1300 miles with the trailer empty. Should I keep the tires at 65 lb anyway or should I lower the tire pressure?

Thanks for your help.

2. Member

3. Member
    Thanks for the link, I have to weigh the trailer. I think it's around 1000 lbs

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leckbass View Post
    I have a 4600 lb load Rite trailer with 205 75 R14 load D Tires. If I had the boat on the trailer I would keep the air pressure at 65 PSI. I'm going to be driving about 1300 miles with the trailer empty. Should I keep the tires at 65 lb anyway or should I lower the tire pressure?

Thanks for your help.
    If you don't mind putting air back in them before you load I would air them down if it affects your ride. Most pull behind trailers don't have a big difference. I had a triple axle gooseneck that I would air down to 30psi if I was going on a long trip. If I left the tires at 80 with no load that thing would beat your guts out. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    An empty trailer will often want to bounce, so dropping the pressure is usually a good thing.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    Thanks for the help guys.