Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

back wash still happening?

Have they designed back wash out of bass boats? I know it can be stopped with driving but curious if new boat designs have made it go away.

Kickballs in your jackplate will help if not eliminate it

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Some boats do, some do not. Of all the things I criticize Nitro for they have this issue solved. Some Tritons do not ever back wash. I know both my Basscats do in a BIG way if I am not careful. It is not a thing I care to worry about when buying a boat though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    My 2015 Triton 20TRX does not back wash. Had a 01 Javelin Renegade 20 that would.

Some boats do, some don’t. Not really a complaint, but my BassCat will backwash if I don’t bump the throttle at the right moment after sitting down. Just something I’m used to. I never look back, just do it by feel. Skeeters are one brand I’ve noticed don’t tend to backwash much. Don’t know about the others, but I would guess it has to do with how fast you sit down coming off plane.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    I think i read some where that the new Ranger L boats want . Back wash

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    My R-81 dosn't backwash.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

8. Member
    Every boat i have had does
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    Make sure you have a foot throttle and use it. The foot works both ways. You can use the throttle to control backwash.

10. Member
    I've owned a Nitro, Triton, Skeeter and a now a Bass Cat. The Skeeter by far had the least back wash. I just bump the throttle to avoid it.
    Brad Krone

Full load of fuel,2 people, livewells full, I can make some water get in my back deck
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. BBC SPONSOR
    All boats are going to backwash to a degree. If nothing else water will gather in the splashwell which is technically considered backwashing. Now of course there are those out there that will dump water in the back of your pants if you do not throttle up just a bit when sitting the boat down. It comes down to getting to know your boat and how she likes to be handled. Don't let that dictate your choice in a boat. It is as they say , "The nature of the beast."
    Randy Carter
    Customer Service Manager
    Angler's Choice Marine
    276-632-5600
    www.anglerschoicemarine.com

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    My R-81 dosn't backwash.
    neither does my R 81 not sure if the holeshot plate helps with that, I know the new L rangers are impossible to backwash as well.

14. Member
    Skeeter boats don't backwash because of the sponsons on the rear transom of the boat. At least on the newer Skeeters. My 2015 ZX250 doesn't backwash at all.

15. Banned
    How do all you get backwash?? Do you all just come off plane and put it neutral?? Lol. Learn to drive the boat and you won’t have any backwash. Lol.

I’ve driven every boat brand imaginable and can make any of them do it and make any of them not do it. This isn’t very hard to do.

16. Member
    I can be running 70 and turn the key off with no back wash. If the transom is straight up and down you will wash. The transom has to have and angle to avoid a wash,, forget the degree of angle. Other wise you will have to throttle away from the wave coming in.

17. Member
    My phoenix will get a splash or 2 if I have full wells, gas, and a second person if I just shut it down. Same load empty wells not a drop. It's really not that hard to bump the throttle and make it not do it if you have a boat that does it

Generally speaking, isn't it pretty fair to say that the go-fast boats are going to have more problems with backwash? Add more weight to the back with less in the front and the problem is exacerbated. The motor is squatting the ass end down into the water more substantially when there's less weight to the hull.

Dad's Bullet would SOAK you if you weren't careful coming off plane. His Triton he had after that and now his Charger won't do it no matter what. My Ranger won't do it no matter what. I know Bass Cats will do it. I don't think it's a hull design thing, I think it's a weight and weight distribution thing.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

19. Member
    If I get off the throttle fully in my Stratos it will make water run down the back of your neck. You learn to avoid that, after a while you don't even think about it.

20. Member
    Set back also is a huge factor. The farther you transfer the weight back the farther FORWARD your pivot point is in relation to the surface. A boat with no jack plate may not take water over while the same boat/motor may completely swamp the rear deck with a 10/12 inch plate. It’s a blend of hull design and setup both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast