Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Glass boats on the Susquehanna

I am in the Harrisburg-Lancaster-York area. Are there any safe places to take a glass boat out on the river? I know that around the dams are fairly deep, but what about floating debris? Thanks for your insight!

2. Member
    I’ve seen glass boats at Goldsboro, long level, and south of the holtwood. I’ve taken my glass on long level. There was some floating logs but I was out after a heavy rain.

3. Member
    Perfect. I am in Red Lion & not too far from long level & holtwood.

4. Member
    Contact Susquehanna Tackle. The stretch of river down by them is fishable with a glass boat.They do guided trip out there

5. Member
    You fish the local lakes much?

6. Member
    You only go to Long Level between September and April. After that it is a total shit show zoo with pleasure boaters and jet skis. Goldsboro can be tricky and its getting silted in bad. Conowingo is a good area but has its hazzard spots also.

7. Member
    I just upgraded from a little 12 ft fiberglass that I used on Pinchot, Williams & Redman. I have a Champion 168 that will give me & my boys a little more room. And thanks for all the info! I've been to Long Level once. I will never go back. What chaos!

8. Member
    I was looking at the boat launch in Columbia, but how deep is the water in that area? I know there are lots of rocks north of the Rt. 30 bridge.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye492 View Post
    I was looking at the boat launch in Columbia, but how deep is the water in that area? I know there are lots of rocks north of the Rt. 30 bridge.

NO NO NO Thats jet boat water

10. Member
    Conowingo for sure. Great fishing, plenty of launches and the hazard areas are all up the river above the power plant and easy to see. Had my 520vx in there 100 times without an issue.

11. Member
    Do you guys have a recommended launch you use?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    You only go to Long Level between September and April. After that it is a total shit show zoo with pleasure boaters and jet skis. Goldsboro can be tricky and its getting silted in bad. Conowingo is a good area but has its hazzard spots also.
    Is Long Level bad during the week Scott, or just on the weekends?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish123 View Post
    Is Long Level bad during the week Scott, or just on the weekends?

Nah week days are ok till about 3 pm then the after work crowd starts rolling in. The damn guys with racing jet ski stands they let near the ramp in the water half in the way along with the tubing crowd.

14. Member
    Years ago i had my skeeter down at 3 mile island... Couldn't go North to far.

15. Member
    Where do you guys put in for the Conowingo?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye492 View Post
    Where do you guys put in for the Conowingo?

The best ramp is at the power plant on the west shore in PA there is one at Glen Cove marina $10.00 fee very small ramp and you hike up hill to park, there is one small ramp on east shore but depending on water levels you may not launch or retrieve and its silted in bad.

17. Member
    sorry about the delay. Check out Dorsey park, it's on the west side of the river but it's in PA. Parking lot is connected to the power plant and it has a very large parking area and 2 large launches with docks. I would not recommend getting up on plane to go up river from this point. This is about where giant submerged rocks start cropping up so be sure to be careful. To go down river you can let it rip all the way to the dam. Glen cove is down river on the MD side near the dam and is a tough launch depending on water levels because you launch back in a stream and have to navigate to the channel. Same with peach bottom on the PA side. I've been there a few times and couldn't even launch at all. Stick with Dorsey park and you'll be very happy.

18. Member
    Thanks for all the insight guys!!

19. Member
    Many years ago I was at a show and was talking to one of Penrod’s guides. When I asked him what his favorite pool was on the river he said Conowingo.

He said it held good fish and many species. He added that if you used the ramp by the power plant (Dorsey) there was a feature that you didn’t have anyplace else - guards with machine guns.

Another plus is that it doesn’t get as busy as the other places, both the ramp and the boat traffic. For your gps use 1848 Lay Road, Delta PA.
    2006 Triton TR196 w/ 200 Optimax \ 2021 AlumaRyder 1860 w/ 200 Rotax

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zelmo View Post
    Many years ago I was at a show and was talking to one of Penrod’s guides. When I asked him what his favorite pool was on the river he said Conowingo.

He said it held good fish and many species. He added that if you used the ramp by the power plant (Dorsey) there was a feature that you didn’t have anyplace else - guards with machine guns.

Another plus is that it doesn’t get as busy as the other places, both the ramp and the boat traffic. For your gps use 1848 Lay Road, Delta PA.
    Very good point. It does feel like you are breaching security as you cross over roads that go directly into the power plant. So if you do make a wrong turn and are confronted by charging armed guards I'd suggest exiting your vehicle slowly with your hands open and above your head good luck out there i think you will enjoy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast