Possible 1987 XR2 Purchase Pros and Cons

Hey gang thinking of purchasing an 87 Merc 150 XR2 to go on my Champ 18, good compression all across (119), oil injection connected and working with no issues (per seller?). I'm moving away from an earlier model Evinrude (1982) 235hp. Evinrude to cold natured and hard starting until good an warmed up, also wanting something lighter. Asking 2000 but negotiating, looking to try and get down to 1500 to 1700. Any thoughts?

2. Member
    Reliable, you can run the piss out of it. But lacking in torque. You will need to prop it to turn at least in the 6200 to 6400 RPM range. Fiber reeds help. It's only a 2.0 liter motor. $2K is too much. I'm thinking about half that.
    Last edited by John Jackson; 02-07-2019 at 03:57 AM.

3. Member
    ^^^^^^ agree that dang 200 divder and tuner killed um didn it JOHN
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also keep in mind- that engine is now at least 32 years old now...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ^^^^^^ agree that dang 200 divder and tuner killed um didn it JOHN
    Basically a detuned race motor, and most had the small lower unit that wasn't very strong.

6. Member
    Bought one new in 85. Screamin SOB. Hottest thing going at the time. As stated earlier,lacking on the low end but with the right properly vented prop,those things would RUN.Not the best on a heavier boat.

7. Member
    JOHN not to be disrespect but didn't the xr4 vertical reed mtrs first have small cases that had major problems with lower DS bearng, JER if you would get me the ser number off the BLOCK , not the mid so we can be sure its not a 2.4 xr4 mtr with a xr2 cowl or stickers which is a 2.0 mtr
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    JOHN not to be disrespect but didn't the xr4 vertical reed mtrs first have small cases that had major problems with lower DS bearng, JER if you would get me the ser number off the BLOCK , not the mid so we can be sure its not a 2.4 xr4 mtr with a xr2 cowl or stickers which is a 2.0 mtr
    The 1st generation 2.0's had the weakest lowers, with lots of customer complaints. Mercury school even told us to deny claims unless they get very irate. The early ones were basically a modified inline 6 lower. Mercury knew they had a problem, but fixed it on later models. Still, the small lower is significantly weaker than the larger one.

9. Member
    Hey Joe, I plan on going to take a look at it and hear it run this weekend I will get the numbers then. thanks..

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can't say what this engine is- but according to the catalog, Production XR2 models used the 2.0 ratio (either with or without driveshaft nut in a 4.75" bore case).

XR2-GC.JPG

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor